Members of the GFC Research Planning Committee are governed by the following powers and duties:
- The primary advisory body to provide advice, recommendations and feedback to the Vice-President (Research) on a variety of files or issues within the research and innovation portfolio including (but not limited to): the development of policies and procedures, strategic research planning, and initiatives to enhance the research, scholarship and creative endeavours at the University.
- The allocation of resources, such as internal funding programs, and the awarding of awards and honour is delegated to sub-committees. These sub-committees, unless otherwise specified, shall follow procedures approved by the Research Planning Committee and shall report annually to the Research Committee. The sub-committees shall manage: Royal Society of Canada Nominations; Speaker Research Award; Board of Governors Research Chairs; research grants such as community research excellence development, University of Lethbridge Research and Travel Fund; Chinook Summer Research awards; Undergraduate student research awards; and establishments and renewals of research institutes.
- For the Travel Fund, in accordance with the Faculty Handbook, Article 30, the powers and duties are as follows:
- set the maximum award amount for a travel grant prior to each travel year (July 1-June 30);
- receive applications for and award travel grants in accordance with the Travel Fund Procedures approved by Council.
- On behalf of Council, receive the annual reports from the Human Subjects Research Committee and the Animal Welfare Committee, for review prior to providing them to Council.
- Annually review powers and duties and report their findings to the Executive Committee.