Membership of Graduate Program Committees
Each GPC shall be composed, minimally, of the following six members:
- Program Committee Chair;
- three faculty members who are jointly members of the School of Graduate Studies and the Faculties or Schools where the program is delivered; where the Program Committee Chair is not an individual designated by the offering Faculty or School (e.g., Associate Dean or Director) one of these three faculty members will also serve as past chair;
- one member of the School of Graduate Studies who is not a member of the Faculties or Schools where the program is delivered; and
- the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies (or designate), ex-officio and non-voting member.
The membership of each GPC will be recommended annually by the appropriate Faculty or School council/s (referring to the units delivering the program or programs under the purview of that particular GPC), no later than May 1, to the Executive Committee of Graduate Council.
Terms of GPC members shall normally be for a minimum of two years and a maximum of four years, beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30. In cases where a mid-term vacancy arises the appropriate Faculty or School council shall recommend an alternate member to fill the vacancy. Faculties and Schools are encouraged to appoint members with overlapping terms in order to ensure continuity and to consider disciplinary breadth for committee membership. Members of GPCs will normally have participated in graduate student supervisory activities within the past five years.
Subject to approval by Graduate Council, GPCs may include additional voting members for the purpose of ensuring adequate program representation, effective program administration, and/or for the purpose of accommodating appropriate representation of external professional associations. GPCs may also include standing, yet non-voting, resource members as required.
Chairs shall either be designated (e.g., an Associate Dean or Director) by the offering Faculty or School OR shall be selected from their membership by the appropriate Faculty or School as part of the membership selection process. Chairs selected from the committee membership will preferably have previously served as a member of the committee and are expected to serve a term as chair of a minimum of one year and a maximum of two years. In addition, chairs are expected to serve in the role of past chair for one year immediately following their term as chair2. The duties of the chair include:
- being familiar with the School of Graduate Studies Governing Principles, the Graduate Studies Calendar and Course Catalogue, the School of Graduate Studies Policies and Procedures manual, and the School of Graduate Studies forms and approval processes; and
- ensuring that the GPC carries out or oversees the duties laid out in the School of Graduate Studies Governing Principles.
Program Committee Chairs are also expected to serve on Graduate Council Executive, Graduate Council and the Program Chairs committee.
The duties of the past chair include:
- being familiar with the School of Graduate Studies Governing Principles, the Graduate Studies Calendar and Course Catalogue, the School of Graduate Studies Policies and Procedures manual, and the School of Graduate Studies forms and approval processes;
- mentoring and supporting the chair; and • acting as the chair’s designate for activities involving a perceived conflict of interest.
2 In the transitionary timeframe it is suggested that chairs currently serving two year terms convert the second year of their term to the past chair role.