FAQ Funding & Finances

Scholarship Management System

We have a scholarship management system for graduate students. Internal scholarships are applied to through this system. Log into the Bridge and under the Student tab.  The application opens every year by Mid-January and has a deadline to submit the graduate scholarship application is May 15.  Results are release within the scholarship portal by October 1st.  

What financial questions do you have?

Tuition | Scholarships | Graduate Assistantships | Other Questions


Please refer to the Financial Services website for this information.

Graduate programs within the Faculty of Arts & Science, Faculty of Fine Arts and Dhillon School of Business do not charge for courses above the tuition costs. Please refer to the tuition tables for programs within Nursing and Education.

Tuition and fees are due on June 1, Oct. 1 and Feb 1.

Any SGS admission awards are applied first against any outstanding tuition and fees. After your payments have been applied, review your University financial account in the Bridge to determine if you have a positive balance (where the balance can be moved over to your bank account) or a negative balance (you need to pay the balance by the due date). Awards payments are typically June 1, October 1, and February 1/ 

Note: tuition awards do not cover student fees.

If you are being paid through the University's payroll system, you can set up monthly deductions from your paycheque. You need to set this up at the start of each term that you are employed by the institute.

For more information, visit ulethbridge.ca/financial-services/graduate-student-payroll-letters

No. Every student must pay tuition and associated fees. Scholarships that are applied to your account will credit these outstanding costs. In addition, you can arrange to a monthly amount deducted from your paycheque each month.


The Graduate Awards website lists many upcoming funding opportunities. Each entry provides key information about the funding opportunity, including the application deadline and information on how to apply. We also encourage you to utilise the additional resources for award applicants, including links to other funding databases.

There is a funding database on the School of Graduate Studies website. This site is there to help kick off your search for applicable funding opportunities. Internal awards have a single application completed once a year via the scholarship application system.  The system opens at the start of January and has a deadline of May 15th for the Graduate Awards.  External awards have their own applications, eligibility criteria and deadlines so be sure to read the instructions carefully and follow them exactly.

No, unfortunately this is not possible.  Our internal scholarship application has it's own build in mechanism for reference letters.  External awards/scholarships have their own applications and letter requirements that are sent out to the funding agencies, each application requires its own set of transcripts as well as reference letters.

All results should be finalized shortly after the add/drop deadline in the Fall term.  To see your results, simply log into the scholarship system and go to the My Applications tab. There you will see which applications you have submitted.  Any funding for which you were successful in being awarded will show on this page under “Current” and be marked as “accepted” (if successful) or “declined” (if you were not successful).  Only those who are successful in receiving funds will be notified.  

Some awards, such as the admission awards (e.g. ULGRA, Tuition Scholarships, Dean's Scholarship) are paid into your University account and will be first applied against any outstanding tuition and fees. Payments are in 3 equal installments through the year:  June 1, Oct 1 and Feb 1. 
Internal scholarships are are paid in one (<$5000) or two installments (>$5000): Oct 1 and Feb 1 depending on the value.  This can be confirmed via the notice of award within the scholarship system.
External awards may be paid in monthly installments through Payroll via direct deposit into your bank account at the end of the month. If you are unsure how the funds will be received, contact the Graduate Funding Facilitator.

Yes.  Simply log into the Bridge and go to the Student > Student Account.  From there you can check if your scholarship has been applied to your account.  Please keep in mind, scholarships are not posted to accounts until after the add/drop dates for the term.

Admission scholarship payments are applied after the term's add/drop deadline on/before: June 1, October 1 and February 1. 

Other external scholarships may be paid through Payroll in monthly payments or at other times in the year as stipulated by the agency. You can confirm payment method and timing by contacting the Graduate Funding Facilitator.

Yes.  Simply go onto your bridge account under Student > Student Account > Direct Deposit and set up your “Accounts Payable”  banking information for refund. Once this is complete, please email the Cash Office with your ID# and last 3 digits of your bank account number and a class taken last semester. If you would prefer a cheque sent out, please provide your ID# and current address.

Your tuition scholarship covers most of the cost of tuition but you still have to cover the associated fees and other charges. You can set up Payroll deduction if you are receiving funds through a Graduate Assistantship. Simply complete the Financial Services “graduate student payroll letter” and bring it to the Cash Office at the start of each academic term.

Our model for SGS graduate student financial support is a merit-based awards structure.  We have an admission award called the Univ. of Lethbridge Graduate Research Award (ULGRA) for which every student admitted to a full-time graduate program is considered.  Admission into a progam is not a guarantee you’ll receive award funding as it is competitive and there is a limited source of funds.  This admission award has no application and you will be assessed at the time you apply for admission (if awarded, it will be in your offer letter). You can review the guidelines for ULGRA on our website.


Additionally, at the time of admission you will be considered for Graduate Assistantships work and supervisors will consider offering you a Research Assistantship or stipend ( you’ll have to ask them about that possibility).

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships (Teaching/Non-Teaching) are assigned at the time of admission by your home department. If you are not offered a GA (Teaching/Non-Teaching) in your offer of admission it is still possible for a department to offer you an assignment if the department needs GAs. Contact your department’s Graduate Coordinator for more information.

Both Graduate Assistantship (Teaching/Non-Teaching) and Graduate Assistant (Research) appointments are guided by the GSA Graduate Collective Agreement.

Graduate Assistantship (Teaching/Non-Teaching) appointments are contracted employment within your Faculty are assigned by the department and typically a full GA is $3,600 for 112 hours of work over a specified amount of time.

Graduate Assistant (Research) appointments are typically funded by a faculty member's research funds and allow faculty members to employ graduate students whose duties include the performance of research-related duties that are unrelated to the student's program of study. These appointements are considered employment and are bound to the GSA Collective Agreement.

Research Stipends are not employment, they are funded by your supervisor's research funds and have no expectations for the student beyond completing their program of study.

You are required to submit:

  • Bank account information (blank cheque or printout of account information)
  • U of L direct deposit form, signed
  • Update your Social Insurance Number on the Bridge (under Personal Information)
  • Copy of study permit (international students)

This information must be received no later then the Cut-off date for Payroll Authorization Forms (PAF's) (usually the 8th of the month) in order to be processed and for payment to be set up for that month.

If you are emailing this information, it is recommended you password protect the information.

Both Graduate Assistantship (Teaching/Non-Teaching) and Graduate Assistant (Research) appointments are paid via the University’s payroll system. Funds are directly deposited into your bank account on the last business day of the month.

Graduate Assistantship (Teaching/Non-Teaching) appointments are paid only in the semester you are completing the work. Typically departments have Graduate Assistantship (Teaching/Non-Teaching) appointments in the Fall and Spring terms.

Graduate Assistantships (teaching/non teaching/research) are paid via the University’s payroll system. The University has a single payday per month with funds distributed directly to your bank account on the last business day of the month.  In order to be paid as a GA, you must be registered at the time of employment.

COVID-19 & Graduate Assistantships

No, however unvaccinated individuals, or those who do not attest to being vaccinated are required to adhere to additional measures.

The University of Lethbridge requires students, faculty and staff to undergo weekly rapid testing and test negative for COVID-19 before coming to campus. Those who declare they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 can be exempt from this requirement.

Students, faculty, and staff who are not fully vaccinated, and those who would prefer not to disclose their vaccine status, will need to regularly complete a rapid screening test and receive a negative result before they participate in in-person activities.

Details about the rapid testing requirement can be found on the Return to Campus page.

All personal health information is confidential and will not be shared with your supervisor or professors. The university assumes the responsibility to protect all information it collects in this regard, will keep it confidential and only use it for the purpose for which it was collected. You may be asked to show your approval code from the app to verify that you are approved to attend in-person activities. However, this approval code does not reveal any information about your vaccination or rapid test results.

No. Those who are not fully vaccinated (including those with one dose of two-dose vaccine for at least a two-week period), and those who would prefer not to disclose their vaccine status will need to complete regular rapid screening tests and receive a negative result before they participate in in-person activities.

Yes. The University will hold on-campus vaccination clinics on September 20 and 21. You can find more information on current vaccine options available in Alberta online.

If you have not been immunized with a vaccine that is approved by Health Canada, you will have to undertake rapid testing on campus. A list of Health Canada approved vaccinations can be found on the Government of Canada website. For questions about the health risks of receiving multiple vaccines, please contact Public Health or 811.

You can contact the public health department where you received your vaccine for information on how to request your record. For those vaccinated in Alberta, you can access your immunization records online with your MyAlberta Digital ID.

As laid out in the University’s Environment, Health and Safety Policy, it is everyone’s responsibility to ensure a safe workplace. Thus, everyone is expected to participate in the use of masks and encourage others to do the same. Your supervisor or lab coordinator must provide you with instruction on how to report concerns as part of the orientation to your work.

For more information, please refer to the University’s Face Mask Enforcement Guideline.

Meetings are permitted in person. If you cannot ensure at least 2 metres distance, then masks are required. If 2 metres can be ensured, then you do not need to wear masks; however, it is recommended that masks are worn at all times in shared spaces. Some may decide that they prefer to meet virtually.

In the case of private office spaces, if you are either separated by an appropriate barrier or able to physically distance (2 meters), you are able to work without a mask. In shared spaces that are not considered private offices and physical distancing cannot be guaranteed, everyone is required to wear a mask at all times.

If you do not feel safe, you have the following options:

  • Speak with your graduate coordinator and the supervisor you report to for your GA work
  • Contact Campus Safety at 403-329-2603
  • Submit an online safety report.

Instructors who are able to maintain a two-metre distance from the students in their class (even if the students themselves are unable to physically distance) may remove their masks to lecture. All students are required to wear a mask at all times in the classroom.

Students, who cannot wear a mask for protected grounds, are encouraged to contact exemption.inquiry@uleth.ca to learn more about the process and documentation requirements to be considered for mask accommodation. Students must email from their University email address as inquiries from the general public will not be considered. Please provide a brief description so that we can respond accordingly.

No. The rapid testing requirement and vaccine verification program has replaced the daily health check.

The Rapid Response Protocol outlines the procedures for the University of Lethbridge community.

You should inform your graduate coordinator and the supervisor you report to for your GA work if you are unable to work due to illness. For those eligible, an inability to work due to self-isolation would be considered illness leave under Article 14 of the ULGSA Collective Agreement.

Although the AHS has stopped contract tracing, when we are aware of a case of COVID19 on campus, we will make every reasonable effort to confidentially inform those on campus who may be impacted.

For questions regarding COVID-19, refer to the University’s COVID-19 Information web page.

For questions regarding your on-campus expectations and work requirements, please contact your graduate coordinator and the supervisor you report to for your GA work.

For questions regarding the ULGSA Collective Agreement, please contact the ULGSA at gsa.labour@uleth.ca, or Human Resources at heather.takahashi@uleth.ca.

Other Questions

We cannot assign or activate any award funding or employment/Graduate Assistantship (GA) payments until you are registered as a full-time graduate student for the funding period. If you are not registered by the Cut-off date for Payroll Authorization Forms (PAF's) (usually the 8th of the month), your employment payments (e.g., Graduate Assistantships) will be delayed until the end of the next month. If you are not registered by the term add/drop deadline, your award payments will be delayed until the end of the next month.

Scholarship and awards dispursed to your uLeth account are first applied against any outstanding tuition and fees; any remaining funds can be moved to your bank account by visiting or emailing the cash office and requesting the funds be wire transferred/paid to your bank account or have a cheque mailed to you.   

Please fill out the inquiries form located on our website or send an email to the Graduate Funding Facilitator.