III. The Executive Committee of Graduate Council
The Executive Committee shall be comprised of members of Graduate Council as follows:
- The Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, Chair
- The Chair, or equivalent, of each graduate program committee
- The Associate Dean of the School of Graduate Studies
- Four faculty members, who are members of the Graduate Council, appointed by Graduate Council for staggered two-year terms
- One graduate student from Graduate Council, or designate graduate student representing the Graduate Students’ Association
- Reviewing the organization and procedures of Graduate Council and its committees and reporting with appropriate recommendations for improved effectiveness on matters of a conceptual, structural, or strategic nature.
- Setting the agenda for meetings of Graduate Council, ensuring that materials are sufficiently developed to afford fruitful debate at Council.
- Nominating for appointment by Graduate Council the membership of both standing and ad-hoc committees, excluding only the Executive Committee itself (the Graduate Council shall elect them), and nominating members to other University bodies, as required by Graduate Council.
- Acting on behalf of Graduate Council for matters requiring immediate action or when a quorum of Graduate Council is not reached. All actions taken on behalf of Graduate Council will be reported at the next regular meeting of Graduate Council.
- Acting on behalf of the Graduate Council on any other matter for which Graduate Council authorizes it by passing an appropriate resolution.
- Approving recipients for graduate program Medals of Merit and the Governor General’s Gold Medal.
- Hearing any academic appeals as specified by the University of Lethbridge Graduate Studies Calendar and Course Catalogue.
Quorum: Seven members.
Meeting: A meeting shall be held any time on the call of the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.