Having an information interview can yield many benefits including widening network and have more in depth understanding of a particular role, organization and career path.
Tips to help you conduct an informational interview:
- Make sure you research individual and organization you are interested in. This will also help prepare you for the questions you ask them.
- Consider how you want to introduce yourself and your background. There is also a Request for Informational Interview Prompt below to be used for in person or virtual settings.
- Dress much like you would as if you had an interview since this interaction could lead to job shadowing or other opportunity.
- Bring a copy of documents such as resume, question for person and a notepad to take notes.
- Remember when asking for an information interview to consider a time frame and be accommodating for the persons schedule
- Don’t just ask for a job rather inquire about future opportunities or areas of growth for the organization
- Write a thank you note or email a couple days after interaction