Financial Assistance

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships are available to Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Master of Education, and Master of Counselling students. Graduate Assistants are normally full-time graduate students who have been assigned to work with a faculty member. An assistantship requires a student to devote an average of 8 hours per week to research duties (to a maximum per term as per the Collective Agreement). 

Application is to be made to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research by completing the STUDENT Application for Graduate Assistantship form and submitting electronically by July 15 for assignments for the Fall/Winter term. 

Occasionally students may wish to request an assignment for a single term. In such cases the deadline is July 15 for the Fall term and November 15 for Winter term assignments.

To apply for student assistance, faculty members should submit the FACULTY Application for Graduate Assistantship form by the same deadlines. GA duties shall be in support of a faculty member's research program and/or teaching. Clerical or administrative work not related to research or teaching is not suitable for a Graduate Assistantship. See the Graduate Student Association Collective Agreement for further details.


Please refer to the School of Graduate Studies Award Opportunities webpage.

Graduate Student Travel Assistance

Financial assistance is available to support Faculty of Education graduate students wishing to present at conferences or other scholarly meetings, particularly those enhancing the student’s personal research or program focus.

Sponsor: Faculty of Education, The University of Lethbridge

Value: Normally a student may receive assistance to a maximum of $1,500.

Eligibility: Priority is given to full-time Faculty of Education graduate students presenting at a conference, workshop or symposium which would significantly advance work on the student's thesis or project.

Application: Graduate students must apply for assistance by submitting the Application for Funding form to the Office of Graduate Studies & Research.