Persons Case Award

Award Quick Look

Deadline: No Deadline

Amount: $2,500

Student Status: Full Time

Type: External


  • Canadian
  • Permanent Resident


  • Doctor of Philosophy
  • Doctor of Philosophy in Education
  • Master of Arts
  • Master of Counselling
  • Master of Education
  • Master of Fine Arts
  • Master of Music
  • Master of Nursing
  • Master of Science
  • Master of Science in Management


  • School of Graduate Studies

Sponsored by

Established in 1979 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the "Persons Case". These scholarships honour the efforts of five Alberta women: Emily Murphy, Louise McKinney, Nellie McClung, Irene Parlby, and Henrietta Muir Edwards, who fought and won the right for the women of Canada to be officially deemed "persons" under the law.


  • To assist students whose studies will ultimately contribute to the advancement of gender equality through
    • a contribution to one of the following Alberta Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Women mandate areas; women's economic security, women's leadership and democratic participation, and/or eliminating violence against women and girls; or
    • a field of study in which their gender is under-represented or disadvantaged. 


  • $2,500


  • Any gender is eligible to apply.
  • Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible).
  • Be a resident of Alberta; to be considered, one of the following conditions must apply:
    • one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies
    • Alberta is the last place the student has lived for 6 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies or
    • the student’s spouse or partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 6 consecutive months prior to the person attending post-secondary
  • There is no age limit.
  • Student status:
    • undergraduates – must be a registered (full or part-time) student in an approved Alberta post-secondary institution
    • graduates – must be an Alberta resident (as described above) and be registered (full or part-time) in a graduate program in Alberta or elsewhere
  • Indigenous students, racialized students and students living with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply.

Application: Persons Case application form