As a full-time uLethbridge student (registered in a minimum of 9.0 credit hours [3 credit courses]) in an undergraduate or graduate program, you may be eligible to work:

  • On Campus
    • You may be employed on campus by the educational institution, a faculty, a student organization, or a private business/private contractor which provides a service to the campus (for example, SUBWAY, Tim Hortons, Hiroba, etc). You can find some student jobs posted here.
  • Off Campus, up to 20 hours a week while studying
    • If you are interested in searching for a job off campus, try looking at local job listings in newspapers or browsing online job-search websites such as Indeed and Kijiji. You are not eligible to work off campus if you are enrolled part-time, in Open Studies or in English for Academic Purposes, or if you are a visiting student. More restrictions may apply; click here for additional details.
  • Full-time during scheduled breaks, including winter break and reading week and during the Summer term for undergraduate students

If at any time during a Fall or Spring term you become a part-time student, you must stop working.

Keep in mind that you will need a valid study permit and SIN number to work in Canada. Both you and your employer will be expected to adhere to Alberta Employment Standards. It is a good idea to read up on employment standards to know what you are entitled to in terms of wages, work hours, and vacation.

Before deciding to pursue employment, you should carefully consider how much time you will be able devote to working weekly without impacting your ability to keep up with your studies. Most undergraduate courses require at least two hours of individual work for every hour of class time.

We do not recommend that you rely on part-time employment to finance your studies. Anticipated funds from working in Canada will not be accepted by the IRCC as adequate proof of funds when applying for your study permit.

If you need advice with your job search, or with putting together a cover letter and resume, visit Career Services.

It is possible that your program may require you to complete some work experience as a co-op or practicum student. You are eligible to apply for a co-op work permit if:

  • You have a valid study permit
  • Working is a necessary part of your study program in Canada
  • You have a letter from the university that confirms that you will need to complete a work placement to get your degree
  • Your co-op or internship is 50% or less of the total program of study

Students interested in participating in co-op at the University of Lethbridge must apply to the Co-op Office after beginning their studies at uLethbridge. Certain requirements must be met in order to be accepted into the program.  For more information on co-op, please visit the Career Bridge website