Travelling outside Canada

If you are planning to leave Canada to visit another country during your period of studies, it is important that you ensure that your entry document will be valid for when you plan to return.

Depending on your country of citizenship, you may need a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.  Find out which document you will need here.

If you require a TRV to enter Canada, your original TRV likely matches the validity of your original study permit.  If you have had to extend your study permit, you will not be automatically issued a new TRV.  This means that if you plan to travel outside of Canada, you must apply for a new TRV in order to be able to return.  We recommend planning well in advance to make sure that you have all the documents required for travel.  Processing times can be found here and you can begin the TRV application process from inside Canada here.

For those who are visa-exempt, the electronic Travel Authorization is linked to your passport, and valid for 5 years, or until your passport expires, and is only required for air travel.  If you apply to extend your study permit, a new eTA will be issued to you automatically.  Always ensure that you have a valid eTA before making travel plans.  You can apply for the eTA here