Stay in Canada after Graduation

If you would like to stay in Canada after graduation to gain work experience, the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) enables you to remain in Canada for up to three years after graduation, depending on the length of your study program.  Students completing an eligible program of two years or longer at a designated learning institution are eligible for a post-graduation work permit of three  years. In order to meet eligibility requirements, you must have:

  • Obtained a degree, diploma or certificate from a designated learning institution
  • Studied full-time & continuously in program that is at least eight months long
  • Applied for a work permit within 180 days of receiving written confirmation that all completion requirements for your academic program are met

If you are not eligible for a PGWP, you may still be able to work in Canada after graduation. For more information look here.

If you are interested in staying in Canada permanently, IRCC has a number of pathways to becoming a permanent resident. You can compare the different pathways to permanent residence at this page.  You'll find that the Canadian work experience you can obtain on a PGWP will be beneficial when it comes to applying for permanent residence.

Post-graduation work permit holders living in Alberta may also be eligible to apply to the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program pathway, Alberta’s provincial nominee program for permanent residence. Find out more about it here.