Entry Documents

Your passport is an important, official document issued to you by your country for the purposes of travel and identification. We recommend that you make photocopies of your passport; carry your passport only when you will need it for travel, and leave it at home in a safe spot the rest of the time.

You are responsible for knowing when your passport will expire. No Canadian immigration documents will be issued to you beyond the date of the expiration on your passport. If your passport will expire before you would normally complete your studies, your study permit validity will not extend beyond your passport expiry date.

You can renew your passport inside Canada at your consulate or embassy. You will also need to apply separately to extend your study permit, after your passport renewal has been approved. Make sure to keep track of both expiration dates as well as estimated processing times. Do not let your study permit or passport expire. You should begin the passport renewal processes well in advance (at least six months).

The temporary resident visa (TRV) is an official counterfoil (a special type of sticker) that is placed inside your passport, which shows that you have met the requirements to be admitted into Canada as a temporary resident. Most TRVs allow for multiple entries into Canada.​​

Find out if you need a TRV to enter Canada here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp 

An eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt visitors travelling to Canada by air. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. ​

Find out if you need an eTA to enter Canada here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/facts.html