International Undergraduate Students

1. Apply to Co-op & Register for Co-op Admission Course (CAC)

Admission Course dates will be available for the entire semester for you to select.  If dates do not work for you, try again next semester or contact the Co-op Office.


Note: You must provide a copy of your study permit in an online application. Please be advised the Co-op Work Permit applications take time, so begin the process as soon as possible. 

Degree Type GPA Requirement
BA 2.5 or higher
BSc 2.3 or higher
BMgt 2.7 or higher
BSc Health Sciences 2.5 or higher
BFA 2.5 or higher

Even if you do not meet the GPA requirements at this time, still apply to Co-op to have a follow up conversation with a Co-op Coordinator to build a plan for you moving forward.

Credit Hours

  • If you have more than 60 credit hours, you will need to have an initial conversation with a Co-op Admissions Coordinator after you apply to the Co-op Program to make sure you have the necessary supports in place.

What year should I be in to apply?

  • Any year!
  • Because recruiting begins four to eight months prior to the start date for a position, and time and effort are needed to prepare for the recruitment process, we encourage students to join the Co-op Program in your first year or as soon as you start classes at the U of L.  It is typical to complete your first work term after you have completed at least ten courses toward your degree so that you have sufficient academic experience to fulfill employer needs.  If you are past your first year, the Co-op program is still for you.  Apply today.

I am almost graduating; is it too late to apply?

  • It is typical to have a minimum of 3 courses remaining in your degree to start a co-op.   Contact the Co-op office for more information about this.  

What if I’ve already graduated?

  • The Co-op program is for undergraduate students who have not completed their degrees. If you have already graduated, Career Services (CCS) is available to help with resume writing, on-campus recruiting and career research. 
  • Login here to book an appointment with a Career Coach.

2.  Attend Co-op Admission Course (CAC)

You will be contacted by the Co-op office confirming your application and your registration in the Co-op Admissions Course (CAC). 

Prior to attending you will be emailed (to your ulethbridge email address) checklists and additional resources to help you work on your application documents (resume, cover letter and references).  This will hep ensure you meet the Co-op programs professional standards.

For additional support

Job Application Toolkit

Co-op Sample Job Postings

3. Read and sign Co-op Agreement and International Agreement Form

The contract will be sent to you from the Co-op Office using Docusign.  You need to complete this to continue forward in the program. 

The International Agreement Form will be sent to you from the Co-op Office using Docusign.  You need to complete this to continue forward in the program. 

  • You must intend to complete the Co-op Education Designation to be eligible for a Co-op Work Permit.  Completing the designation requires three co-op work terms (12 months total) for undergraduate students.  According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Co-op work must be essential for all students in the program in order to receive their degree.  
  • Completing Co-op Work Terms additional to those required to obtain the Co-op Education Designation is considered optional and therefore outside the eligibility requirements for the Co-op Work Permit.  Students who complete additional co-op work terms may be considered to be non-compliant with their co-op work permit and may find future applications to IRCC are affected.  
  • According to IRCC, Co-op employment cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study. 

4. Receive Letter of Support for Co-op Work Permit 

Once the International Student Agreement is signed

You will receive a Letter of Support from the Co-op Office with instructions on how to apply for a Co-op Work Permit. 

  • Co-op work permits from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) are required for all international students who wish to participate in the Co-op program at the University of Lethbridge. The co-op work permit must be received prior to commencing work in a co-op position. You will be able to access job postings only once you have a valid co-op work permit.
  • Only registered students at the University of Lethbridge who have been accepted by the Co-op program will receive the required official letter of support to accompany your application for a co-op work permit.
  • As application processing times can be lengthy, you should apply to the Co-op Program well before you intend to begin your first co-op term. If you have other questions about your eligibility to work, please see the International Student Advisor at the International Centre (SU040).


Applying for or renewing a Co-op Work Permit

Note: There is no fee to apply for or renew a co-op work permit from IRCC.

  1. You will need a confirmation letter from the co-op office that states that you are a registered U of L student who is part of the Co-op program, and that the employment sought is an essential part of your program of study in Canada. You will need this letter to accompany your application to IRCC. The support letter is received by reviewing and signing an International Student Agreement during the Intake process with your co-op coordinator.
  2. Please visit the International Centre website for procedures on how to apply online for your co-op work permit. 
  3. Once you have successfully applied online, you will receive a confirmation email from IRCC. Please forward this email to our office so that we can update your file accordingly.
  4. Expect to receive a second email from IRCC once your co-op work permit has been approved. Please also forward this second email to our office.
  5. Once you have received your co-op work permit in the mail, you must provide the co-op office with a copy.
Co-op Work Permit Application Help

Please visit the International Centre and speak to a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA). Only authorized representatives such as RISIAs are permitted to provide advice regarding immigration applications such a study permits and Co-op Work Permits.

Co-op Work Permit Processing Times

Processing times depend on how busy the Case Processing Centre is at the time you apply. For updated processing times please check the IRCC website.

Co-op Work Permit Arrives

Please send the following items to

  • Email confirmation that Work Permit has been received from Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) 
  • Email confirmation from IRCC that Work Permit has been approved 
  • Copy of Co-op Work Permit 

NOTE: Continue to work with your Co-op Admissions Coordinator on your job application documents while waiting for your permit to come in.

5. Co-op Job Board Access

Once you have been approved by a Co-op Admissions Coordinator and completed all other requirements, you will have access to the Co-op Job Board.  Ensure that you engage with the MyExperience platform, the web resources, and your Co-op Admissions Coordinator to find support as you apply and  interview for positions.

You will not get job board access unless a copy of the co-op work permit is provided. 

6. Apply for Jobs

Please be advised that even in job applications through MyExperience, your documents will be monitored to ensure that they meet the Co-op programs standards and employer needs.

Resources to help

Access to Co-op Job Board 


Job Application Toolkit

Option: Self Initiated Co-op

If you find a position outside of the Co-op Job Board that meets the Co-op Admissions Coordinators requirements, this can potentially be registered as a Co-op Work Term Course.  Contact your Co-op Admissions Coordinator or to discuss this option further.  

7. Landing a Job

Congratulations!  After interviewing and gaining a job offer, contact to send in your contract and employer information. 

You will be registered by the Co-op Office for your Co-op Work Term Course (your student status will remain full time during all of your work term placements).

8. Start you Work Term Course

  • Attend Send Off with the Co-op Office prior to starting your work placement.  All of this information will be sent out to you in an email prior to your semester start. 
  • You will be assigned a Co-op Coordinator that will support you work placement and course.  They will reach out to you after add/drop deadlines for the University.  
  • Your Co-op Coordinator will be marking your assignments, facilitating monitor visits, and supporting you through your personal and professional development through the course. 
  • Co-op Work Term Courses are academic non-credit courses that will appear on your academic and MyExperience transcripts.

Professionalism in the Workplace

9. Co-op Designation

To receive a Co-op Designation that will be on your degree certificate, see chart below.

Student Type Work Terms Required for Designation Maximum Work Terms
International Undergrad 3 (12 months) 3 (12 months)