Your assignment should have elements that meet up with the learning goals or objectives you wish your students to achieve. There is no set standard rule that an assignment must carry a written component or an oral presentation component as those elements will vary depending on the learning goals. So the best way to find out if your assignment has the proper elements for essential learning is to remember a few key points to any assessement design.
- Remember to always build assignments that allow students to produce or demonstrate evidence of student learning.
- Be sure to explain and include instruction that clearly communicates to them the expectations of the assignment.
- The design of the assignment should offer opportunities for exploration and self-discovery.
- Large assignments may be prepped for by breaking down a large project into smaller modules of the same assignment
- The assignment allows students to make connections and relate to the material covered in class.