WHO is this for? Undergraduate and Graduate Students.
WHY would I use this form? Use this form if you are a continuing student at the University of Lethbridge in good academic standing who wishes to take courses at another post-secondary institution (see the Registration and Academic Regulations sections of the Undergraduate or Graduate Calendar for eligibility requirements).
WHEN do I submit this form? You must submit this form by the following deadlines:
- August 1 for the fall term
- December 1 for the spring term
- April 1 for the summer term (April 15 for summer 2020)
(See the Academic Schedule)
Submitting your application earlier than the deadline will allow more time for assessment and may improve your chances of securing a seat in the course(s) at the host institution
WHERE do I submit this form? Submit the completed application form to your Faculty/School by email or in person. If you are in a combined degrees program, submit the form to only one Faculty/School who will then coordinate with the other Faculty/School to ensure full review by both programs.
WHAT happens next?
Step 1: Faculty/School Review
- The Faculty/School will review and approve or deny your application for visiting studies authorization according to institutional and specific Faculty/School policies. When reviewing your application, your Faculty/School will consider:
- course availability at the University of Lethbridge,
- your program requirements,
- residence requirements,
- concurrent registration restrictions, and other factors.
- If approved, the Faculty/School will inform you of the transfer credit you may or may not receive upon successful completion of the course(s) at the other institution according to the Transfer Equivalency Database and of how the course(s) may or may not count toward fulfilling your program requirements.
- Courses not previously assessed for transfer credit may not receive transfer credit and/or may not fulfill program requirements.
- If the courses you wish to take have not previously been assessed for transfer credit, you are responsible for submitting detailed course outline(s) to Admissions. Submit your detailed course outline(s) as soon as possible upon receiving them from the other institution to allow more time for evaluation, e.g. prior to attending the other institution.
Step 2: Administration of Visiting Student Authorization
- The Faculty/School will forward the approved application to the Registrar’s Office to be added to your student record.
- You will be registered in a placeholder course (e.g. VIST 3999) for the fall or spring term(s) for which visiting studies authorization is granted. This will maintain your continuing student status at the University of Lethbridge.
- You will not be registered in a placeholder course if you have been granted visiting studies authorization during the summer or have been permitted concurrent registration.
- Concurrent registration is only granted in extenuating circumstances upon approval by the Faculty/School. If you have not been granted approval for concurrent registration, you are not permitted to register in and take courses at the University of Lethbridge while taking courses elsewhere under visiting student authorization.
- Pre-Education and Education students must provide evidence to the Faculty of Education of completion of their visiting studies elsewhere prior to the start of a Professional Semester.
Step 3: Registration and Completion of Course(s) at the Other Institution
- If you had previously registered for courses at the University of Lethbridge for the upcoming term of your visiting studies, but did not receive approval for concurrent registration, you must drop the courses on the Bridge.
- At the conclusion of your visiting studies at the other institution, you are responsible for arranging for official transcripts to be sent as soon as possible to the University of Lethbridge Registrar’s Office.
- If the course(s) you took may be used to fulfill program requirements and you are in your last term of your program, ensure official transcripts are received by the Deadline for receipt of outstanding documents in support of an Application for Graduation (see the Academic Schedule).
- You must register in the fall or spring term immediately following the approved visiting studies term(s) to maintain continuing student status at the University of Lethbridge. If you do not register in the following term, you will lose continuing student status and must re-apply for admission under the Post-Secondary Admission Route.
If you decide not to pursue visiting studies:
- Register in uLethbridge courses in the upcoming fall or spring term(s) to maintain your continuing student status.
- If you were registered in a placeholder for the term(s), contact your Faculty/School to have the placeholder course registration removed from your record.