Health Insurance

In Alberta, basic health care coverage is provided by a provincial public health care plan. This system makes it possible for all Alberta residents to have access to necessary services such as hospital visits and doctor appointments without sacrificing personal funds to pay hefty medical bills. As a student with a study permit for at least one year, you are eligible to receive these benefits.

Alberta Health Care

All uLethbridge students are required to have basic health insurance. You can register for Alberta Health Care at any Registry Agent. For most students, there is no cost for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. It is important that you register soon after you arrive in Alberta.

The following documents will be required for the Alberta Health Care registration to be processed:

  • Passport
  • Study permit
  • Proof of Alberta residence (such as your lease agreement, a bill with your address, etc.)
    • If you do not yet have a document with your address on it, please let us know.

You will be issued an Alberta Health Card; you should carry your Alberta Health Card and a piece of photo identification with you at all times. You will be required to show them anytime you access health services in Alberta.

You are not eligible to receive the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan if you are staying in Alberta for less than 12 consecutive months. If you would like to consider short-term health insurance options, consult with the Health Centre.  Minors (under 18 years of age) must be registered for AHCIP as a dependent of another Alberta resident. Please consult with the Health Centre for more details.

Questions? Contact the Health Centre.

ULSU Health and Dental Plan

In addition to Alberta Health Care, all full-time students are automatically enrolled in an extended health insurance plan called the ULSU Health and Dental Plan. The premiums for this plan are included in your tuition and fees. This plan provides partial coverage for medical costs not covered by Alberta Health Care (for example, ambulance, prescription drugs, dental care, etc.) You may opt out of the Health and Dental Plan if you have proof of other extended coverage.

If you have dependents, you may add family members on to the benefit plan for an additional charge. Payment and forms for family add-ons are accepted at the Students' Union Office (SU180).

Visit the Students’ Union Office to pick up your benefit card, or you can download your card online here.

Click here to learn more about what is covered under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Pan.

Click here to learn more about what is covered under the ULSU Health and Dental Plan.