Health Care Options

In the event of serious illness or injury requiring urgent attention, you should visit the nearest emergency department immediately. In Lethbridge, the 24-hour emergency department is located at:

Chinook Regional Hospital

960 19th St South

Lethbridge, Alberta

T1J 1W5

When visiting an emergency room, patients are seen to on a priority basis; this means that the people who require the most immediate medical attention will be seen first. If you visit an emergency department for care that is not urgent, you may have to wait—sometimes up to several hours. Prior to visiting the emergency department, if you would like to view estimated wait times, look here.

Call 911 if you require an ambulance. If you do not have appropriate coverage (such as through the ULSU Health and Dental Plan) you may be billed for the cost of the ambulance ride.

Health Link is a free, 24-hour service which provides advice and health information over the telephone. Anyone in Alberta with a health concern can dial 811 to speak with a registered nurse. If you are concerned about symptoms of illness or how to treat them, but unsure what steps to take next, you may wish to make use of the Health Link service. The nurses can offer you instruction on treating conditions such as colds and flu, fever, ear aches, rashes, and more. They will assess your symptoms and let you know if you should visit a pharmacist, walk-in clinic, urgent care centre, or emergency room.  Health Link support is offered in over 200 languages.

The University Health Centre exists to provide you with convenient on-campus healthcare services. You may not always be able to book appointments with the same doctor or provider. If you currently have a family doctor, you are encouraged to take your health concerns to them before visiting the Health Centre.

The Health Centre can offer you medical assistance with a variety of issues, including

  • Illness and injury
  • General health questions or concerns
  • Annual physicals
  • Sexual health (pregnancy testing, STI testing, and birth control including IUD insertions)
  • Injections (B12, allergy)
  • Sleep concerns
  • Dermatology Concerns (rashes, warts, acne)
  • Allergies
  • Mental health (anxiety, depression, ADHD)
  • Referrals
  • Chronic illness/condition
  • Smoking cessation

The Health Centre is an appointment-based clinic. Walk-ins may occasionally be accommodated, but we recommend that you book an appointment if you wish to visit the Health Centre. You can call the Health Clinic at (403) 329-2484 or make an appointment in person. The Health Centre is located in the Students' Union Building (SU020), right next to the International Centre.

Alberta Health Services advises that family doctors are the best option for ongoing medical care with continuity. A family doctor may provide you with regular health exams and periodic check-ups, help you manage chronic illness and or mental health issues, and provide referrals to other medical consultants as required. If you need assistance finding a family doctor, visit here. Many doctors prefer to arrange a meet-and-greet appointment with you before deciding to take you on as a new patient.

Walk-in clinics are staffed by family physicians and most do not require you to book an appointment. Walk-in clinics tend to be very busy, so you should arrive early and be aware that you may be required to wait. You may wish to call in advance to inquire about wait times since they will vary from day to day. Walk-in clinics are suitable for addressing mild concerns such as sprains, cuts, mild pain, ear infections, and flu symptoms. Up-to-date information on Walk-in clinic locations and times are available at the Health Centre (even after hours).

A pharmacist can advise you on over-the-counter medications and assess symptoms of minor conditions such as coughs and colds. Additionally, a pharmacist can provide you with information on how to properly store and take your medications, help you to ensure that the medications you are taking are necessary and the dosages are appropriate.  Some pharmacists may be able to prescribe medication or provide injections such as influenza vaccinations.

Alberta Health Services offers a number of translated resources in some of the more common languages in Alberta.

Learn about the kinds of translation and interpretation services they offer and options for managing and maintaining your health. Print off and take a language card with you to your healthcare facility so you can request an interpreter to assist you.