Phone and Electronics

To avoid expensive international roaming charges, when you arrive in Canada you may wish to simply purchase a new phone (or SIM card) and a mobile plan from a Canadian provider.

Many Canadian cellphone providers offer cheap or free cellphones if you sign a contract (cancellation fees may apply if the contract is two years of duration or less). Alternatively, you can purchase an unlocked cellphone that will enable you to choose your wireless provider/plan without signing a long or expensive contract, or simply purchase a new SIM card if it is possible to activate your existing phone in Canada.

You may need a Canadian credit card and documentation (such as an Alberta ID card or your passport) to purchase a monthly post-paid phone plan or SIM card. Different cellphone providers will have different requirements.

Common cellphone providers include Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin, and Koodo.

Here is a useful tool to help you compare costs of cellphone plans in Alberta.

In Canada, the standard voltage is 120 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz. The power sockets/plugs are type A and B. Be careful when using electrical appliances brought from home, as plugging an appliance into an incorrect voltage outlet can cause an electrical fire. You may need to purchase a transformer, which can be found at major electronic retailers or online.