Ways to Pay

Scholarships, awards, bursaries and grants

The University offers a number of awards and scholarships to new and continuing students. More than 2,000 students received $3,932,772 through uLethbridge awards programs — 473 different awards were matched to uLethbridge students! Many of our awards are tied to academic achievement, others may favour those who are active in the community, creative or artistic. You should apply for every award you can because the more money you can secure in advance of beginning your studies, the more you can concentrate on your studies and immersing yourself in the uLethbridge experience.
Learn more about awards at uLethbridge. Apply for awards.


Co-operative Education

This is an option for all students in all programs in the Dhillon School of Business, Faculty of Arts & Science, Faculty of Fine Arts, and the public health major who have completed at least one year of studies. Students on work terms (four to twelve months in length) are generally paid up to $2,000 per month by their co-op employers. Many co-op students report that they have benefited from this on-the-job learning that is integrated with their studies.
Learn more about co-operative education.


On-campus employment

Some students help pay for their education by working as lifeguards, tour guides, lab assistants, and theatre ushers, to name just a few opportunities. Others become assistant student researchers while participating in career-related research funded through faculty research grants.
Visit the uLethbridge job board.


Off-campus employment

Lethbridge is a city more than 100,000 people and boasts a variety of recreational facilities, malls, and restaurants. Many students find part-time work in the retail and service industry in Lethbridge and area.


Government Student Financial Assistance

The federal and provincial governments offer many post-secondary students financial aid in the form of student loans and grants. These loans and grants are awarded on the basis of financial need. You must apply for student financial assistance through the province you are considered to be a resident of. The appropriate provincial or territorial authorities will then evaluate your application and provide funding, based on your assessed financial need. The Scholarships and Student Finance Office at uLethbridge provides access to application forms and advice concerning the federal and various provincial student financial assistance programs.


Personal Student Loans

If you do not qualify for a government student loan, many banks offer personal student loans or student lines of credit. Unlike government student loans, these loans are not based on financial need. To qualify for these loans you generally must have a co-signer (e.g. parent or guardian) and you are encouraged to have a regular part-time job so that you can make your monthly interest payment.