Discover the career path that’s right for you.
Gain hands-on experience.
Earn a competitive wage.
Develop a professional network.
Co-operative Education (co-op) combines real-world, paid work experience with academic studies, providing you an exciting path to your degree. The program is a partnership between students, the University and employers, offering you an enriching learning environment. When you graduate, you will leave with relevant work experience and a co-op designation to go with your degree
Placements are available with government agencies, corporations, educational institutions, non-profits and other organizations in Alberta and around the world.
Work terms can be 4-, 8-, 12- or 16-months long and begin in September, January or May. A minimum of three, four-month (12 months total) must be completed to receive a BA or BSc Co-op designation. Students can work a maximum of six, four-month terms (24 months). As at other universities, there is no letter grade given for co-op; students receive a pass/fail, and there is no academic credit given. However, there are many benefits to being a co-op student. Here are just a few:
- Gives you real-world work experience related to what you're studying
- Allows you to explore different areas of interest
- Introduces you to employment possibilities
- Earn a competitive wage
- Helps you develop your professional skill set
- Provides proactive job search skills
- Gives you challenging, relevant, paid work experience
- Assists you in making realistic and informed career choices
- Lets you build valuable contacts with employers
- Assists in the transition from university to the workplace
Who is eligible for co-op?
You can participate in co-op if you a student in:
- the Dhillon School of Business
- the the Faculty of Arts & Science
- the Faculty of Fine Arts
- the Faculty of Health Sciences
Our co-op programs are popular, so we recommend applying early, even in your first semester! Co-op students require a minimum of 2.5 on the uLethbridge GPA scale and must be in good academic standing.
Apply for co-op
Post-diploma & international students
Yes, post-diploma and international students may also participate in our co-op program!
Learn more about co-op