The Government of Canada is calling on innovators to develop solutions to help protect and preserve Canada’s natural heritage and communities from the devastating impacts of oil spills. If you work in the area of oil spill detection, oil spill recovery or other fields such as science and engineering, biochemistry, data analytics, remote sensing and robotics, and have a passion about protecting the environment, the Oil Spill Response Challenge may be for you!
We are looking for innovators to advance innovative and rapidly deployable oil spill response solutions to effectively improve response time and/or increase recovery of oil spilt in diverse Canadian aquatic environments when compared against conventional technology. With the right idea and knowledge on how to get there, you could be awarded up to $1.3M to develop and test your prototype. The grand prize winner will then receive an additional $2M to continue to commercialise their technology!
Up to 10 prizes of $300,000
- Ten semi-finalists will be selected to receive up to $300,000 each to support the development of their technology prototype.
Up to 5 prizes of $1M
- Five finalists with the top solutions will be selected for up to an additional $1 million each to continue to scale and demonstrate their technology.
Grand Prize of $2M
- $2 million Grand Prize will be given to the team with the best demonstrated technology.
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations such as companies, industry associations and research centres
- Indigenous organizations and groups located in Canada Post-secondary/academic institutions
- Individual or groups that are recognized legal entities
- International individuals and entities
June 1, 2022: Deadline to apply
Summer 2022: Selection of ten semi-finalists