The BCRP is providing the information in this pre-announcement to allow investigators time to plan and develop ideas for submission to the anticipated FY22 funding opportunities. This pre-announcement should not be construed as an obligation by the government. The FY22 BCRP funding opportunity announcements for the following award mechanisms will be posted on the Grants.gov website. Pre-application and application deadlines will be available when the announcements are released.
Applications submitted to the FY22 BCRP must address one or more of the following overarching challenges:
- Prevent breast cancer (primary prevention)
- Identify determinants of breast cancer initiation, risk, or susceptibility
- Distinguish deadly from non-deadly breast cancers
- Conquer the problems of overdiagnosis and overtreatment
- Identify what drives breast cancer growth; determine how to stop it
- Identify why some breast cancers become metastatic
- Determine why/how breast cancer cells lie dormant for years and then re-emerge; determine how to prevent lethal recurrence
- Revolutionize treatment regimens by replacing them with ones that are more effective, less toxic, and impact survival
- Eliminate the mortality associated with metastatic breast cancer
Investigators at all academic levels are encouraged to explore these funding opportunities.