Alberta’s population is expected to continue to grow and exceed 6 million people by 2050 and with that, demand for water will continue to increase. Ensuring Alberta has the quality and quantity of water needed is a priority for Alberta Innovates. The Water Innovation Program is designed to help the Government of Alberta achieve the outcomes of the Alberta Water Research and Innovation Strategy (2014): A Renewal (AWRIS) and the goals of the Water for Life Strategy:
- Safe, secure drinking water;
- Healthy aquatic ecosystems; and
- Reliable, quality water supplies for a sustainable economy.
The program builds on a history of world-class research and innovation and helps create and apply relevant, reliable and credible knowledge and information that will lead to a high-performing, innovative and responsive water system for the province of Alberta.
The Water Innovation Program 2022 Call for Proposals is a focused funding opportunity within the broader program. The objectives of the Water Innovation Program 2022 Call for Proposalsare to:
- Improve water use, conservation, efficiency and productivity,
- Increase reliability of water supplies in support of a growing economy,
- Increase reliability and safety of water supplies for healthy communities,
- Maintain and support healthy aquatic ecosystems.
Eligible projects must clearly fit within one of the following three funding streams which are further described in the Program Guide.
- Stream 1: Integrated Approaches to Water Management,
- Stream 2: Management of Climate Change Impacts,
- Stream 3: Water and Wastewater Management in Rural, Indigenous and/or Remote Communities.
This program is open to all categories of lead applicants, providing they are legally able to execute the Investment Agreement. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Technology developers
- Industry and industrial associations
- Small and medium-sized for-profit enterprises
- Research and development organizations
- Post-secondary institutions
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Government entities
All projects must demonstrate a clear and justified value proposition for addressing water challenges in Alberta. Innovations can originate from anywhere globally but must be researched, piloted, demonstrated and/or implemented in Alberta. Preference will be given to projects that are led by an Alberta researcher or organization.
The Water Innovation Program 2022 Call for Proposals has up to $9 million of funding available for approved projects through this call. A successful Applicant can receive up to $750,000 CAD from Alberta Innovates.
The Program supports up to 50 per cent of the total project costs with the remaining funding from the Applicant and/or other project partners (including cash and in-kind support). Co-funding of projects with other funding agencies is encouraged. There is no limit on the amount of stacking towards the Applicant’s contribution.
The application process is divided into two stages: the Expression of Interest stage and the Full Proposal stage. Timelines for each phase can be found in the Water Innovation Program Guide. Applications will be submitted electronically using the Alberta Innovates SmartSimple online intake system.
Please see the Water Innovation Program Guide for full program and application details.
EOI Submissions Deadline | September 15, 2022 (3:00 PM MDT)
EOI Shortlist Notification | October 31, 2022
FP Submission Deadline | January 12, 2023 (3:00 PM MST)
Funding Decision Notification | March 15, 2023
Earliest Project Start Date | April 1, 2023