Janet Youngdahl is an Associate Professor at the University of Lethbridge. She is active as a soprano, academic, and choral conductor. She has toured with the ensemble for medieval music Sequentia throughout Europe and North America.
In concert, she has appeared at the Lincoln Center Festival in New York City, the Proms in London, the Melbourne Festival in Australia, and in concerts in Amsterdam, Paris, Florence, Cologne, Stockholm, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago.
Discography (Professional CD Recordings)
- Peace in Her Mouth and War in her Heart: Barbara Strozzi’s Impassioned Songs, Centaur 2019
- Complete Works Edition, Hildegard von Bingen, Sequentia Sony Classical/ Deutsch Harmonia Mundi, 2017
- Music for Paradise, Sequentia. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi, 2012
- Bellerofonte Castaldi, Battaglia d'amore Toccata Classics (London) 2009
- Giovanni Girolamo Kapsberger. Libro secondo d'arie. Toccata Classics (London) 2006
- Ezequiel Viñao Arcanum. (Hybrid SACD) Soprano and orchestra. Phillips/BIS (Sweden) 2005
- Elizabeth Jacquet de la Guerre Thy hand hast done all this. Cecilia's Circle. Centaur Records 2003
- Ordo Virtutum Medieval Music Drama by Hildegard von Bingen. BMG 1998
- Saints Antiphons and responsories. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi/BMG 1998
- O Jerusalem Marian responsories. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi/BMG 1997
- Aquitania Aquitanian polyphony. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi/BMG 1997
- Shining Light Aquitanian polyphony. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi/BMG 1996
- Voice of the Blood. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi/BMG 1995
- Canticles of Ecstasy (Ensemble Sequentia) Nominated for a Grammy award; winner of French Disc d'or award. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi/BMG 1994
Performances as Soprano Soloist
- Barbara Strozzi at 400, Recital at the International Women’s Work in Music Conference, Bangor, Wales, September 4, 2019
- Sweet Breath Women’s Ensemble Concert at SPIRIT WIND, the Royal College of Organists National Convention, Calgary, July 4, 2018.
- Premiered new work titled “Breath” at Banff Centre by Richard Reed Parry. Recorded at Banff; Premiered at Banff mainstage concert “Music for Heart and Breath,” September 30, 2016.
- Handel’s Messiah with Lethbridge Symphony, December 10 and 11, 2016
- Concert/Lecture Recital March 12, 2017 with Sweet Breath Women’s Ensemble “Singing the Sacred Space” Collaboration with Annie Martin at the Installation: ‘Adoration’ at the SAAG
- Concert: ‘The Parrot’ with Rohub Persian ensemble, Jack Singer Concert Hall, Calgary, as an opener to the CPO Scheherazade concert with Measha Brueggergosman, Nov. 14, 2015
- Baroque concert with Chellan Hoffman, organ and Lucie Jones, Flute sponsored by the Calgary Organ Society and the U of C Collegium Musicum, Calgary, November 1, 2015
- “Women’s Wit” recital with Vivian Montgomery, historical Keyboard, November 24, 2015
- Hildegard of Bingen, Four Pieces Carleton College, Minnesota, February, 2015
- Layli and Majnun, A Persian Love Story, Rohub Ensemble, Calgary, December, 2014.
- Hildegard’s Scivias Chants. American Academy in Rome, San Pietro in Montorio, Rome, Italy, July 2014
- Mozart: Lieder Recital, Music at Noon Series, with Carolyn Herrington, piano, January 21, 2014
- Haydn: Lord Nelson Mass, Marvin Dueck, conductor, Lethbridge Symphony, November, 2013
Academic Papers and Invited Lectures (Selected)
- Intoning Hildegard in the Garden of Visions, Lecture and Workshop at OBORO Centre for the Production and Presentation of Art and New Media, Montreal, Canada, November 10, 2018
- Hildegard’s Healing Chant, Invited Lecture at the University of Calgary for The Mathison Centre Music and Mental Health Week. October 4, 2018
- Reclaiming Hildegard One Neume at a Time, Invited Lecture Recital for the Royal College of Organists National Meeting: Calgary, July 3, 2018
- On the Fruits of Collaboration: Working within the Space between Sound and Image. Paper presentation on the Conversations in the Arts at U of L, March, 2018.
- Passion and Exclusion in Barbara Strozzi’s 1655 Salve Regina, paper presentation at Pacific Northwest American Musicological Society meeting March 18, 2016
- Liquesence and the Sounding Image given at the Universities Art Association Conference in Halifax with colleague Annie Martin, Nov. 7, 2015
- A Visionary and Sonic Imagination: Hildegard’s Scivias Chants. NEH Seminar, American Academy in Rome, San Pietro in Montorio, Rome, Italy, July 2014
- Berkshire Conference of Women Historians, Formal commentator to session: ‘Nuns and Their Books,’ McGill University, commented on papers given by Ann Hutchison, Cynthia Cyrus and Michelle Urberg, May 2014
- Hildegard, Hermannus and Bruno of Toul. Lecture and workshop at the Colloquium of the Gregorian Society, University of British Columbia, August 2013