Funded by Art alumna, Mary Annis, this annual award is intended to allow two students in Art to attend an artist residency in a retreat-like setting at the Gushul Studio and Writer’s Cottage in Blairmore, Alberta, located in the scenic and historic Crowsnest Pass. Selected students will receive a Gushul Studio Residency Prize awarded for the full month of November, 2022, with one student housed in the Studio accommodations and one student housed in the adjacent Writer’s Cottage. The spacious Studio workspace will be shared by both students. Collaborative project proposals are welcome.
- Gushul Studio/Cottage rental and residency fees will be covered.
- An additional $700 will be provided to each student for living/travel expenses and food/materials.
- Mentoring is provided by an Art Faculty member selected in consultation with the student.
- Selected students may enroll in an Independent Study to receive credit for the work completed.
Eligibility: At the time of application, applicants must be enrolled full-time in an Art or cognate program at the University of Lethbridge, though are not required to be enrolled during the residency period.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate excellence in art or a related practice through submission of a portfolio and an artist statement, as well as a clear plan of work, as outlined in a letter of intent.
- Recipients are selected by a committee comprised of members of the Department of Art, Faculty of Fine Arts.
- This is a competitive award and proposals are adjudicated on the merit of submissions.
- A written report or artist statement regarding work completed is required.
Deadline: March 1, 2022
Applications must include the following items submitted as a single PDF document:
- Application Form
- Letter of Intent: maximum 250 words including a proposed timeline and work plan for the residency.
- Portfolio of Work: 10 images of recent work with image titles and brief descriptions. Applicants whose discipline is research/writing are to include 2 examples of writing in any genre.
- Artist/Research Statement: maximum 500 words.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Submit completed applications via email to: email@example.com
Learn more about Gushul Residencies