Programs and Majors

What is a program?

A program is a specific set of course requirements leading to the completion of admission requirements, degree, diploma, or certificate either at the University of Lethbridge or at an institution with which the University has formal transfer arrangements. Generally your program is the degree(s) that you are working towards, such as the Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Education (BSc/BEd).

What is a major?
A major is the primary academic focus of a program (i.e., Mathematics, Sociology, Psychology, etc.). For the BASc and combined majors, two majors must be declared (i.e., one major for each degree sought).

Do I have to declare a major?

No, it is possible to study at the University of Lethbridge with an "Undeclared" major, however seats are usually reserved in courses for students who need them for their declared major. This means that as an "Undeclared" major your access to courses during registration will be limited.

What is a minor?
A minor is a defined set of six courses, designed to provide depth in a particular discipline, study in an interdisciplinary area, or focus on a theme-related topic. More information about minor requirements, and which minors are available, is available in the current Academic Calendar.

What is my Calendar Year?

For most students, their year of the calendar is the academic year that they were most recently admitted to the University of Lethbridge. Your calendar year determines the degree requirements that you need to fulfill to complete your program.

Your calendar year will only change in the following circumstance:

  • You elect to follow a later calendar year to take advantage of changes to the curriculum. For example, the minor in Religious Studies was created in 2011/2012. If a student whose calendar year is 2010/2011 wants to declare this minor and have it recognized upon graduation, they will need to change to a later calendar year.
  • You came to the U of L directly from an institution with which we have a transfer agreement and request to follow an earlier calendar year.
  • If you lose your continuing student status by not taking courses in a Fall or Winter semester and have to reapply to the University.

Continuing Arts & Science students must obtain approval from an Arts & Science Student Program Advisor to change their calendar year.

How do I change my program or major?

Students can log onto the Bridge to complete a change of program or major for all undergraduate programs. If you are unable to complete the form through the Bridge, email

  • Students are strongly advised to speak with an Academic Advisor prior to making changes to their program of study.
  • If you are graduating and applying to a second undergraduate degree, or are currently enrolled in Open Studies or EAP and applying to an undergraduate program, complete the online Undergraduate Application. If you cannot access APAS to apply for some reason, use this form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.

How do I change/add a minor, concentration, specialization, or General Major streams?

Students can log onto the Bridge to add/remove a minor, concentration, specialization, or change a disciplinary stream.