Concentrations and Minors

Do I have to declare a concentration or minor?

No, most programs offered by the Faculty of Arts & Science do not require studentsĀ to complete a concentration or a minor. The exception to this is students in the Combined B.A./B.Ed. program with a major in Native Education; these students must complete a minor in a teachable subject area. Adding a minor and/or concentration to your degree program is a great way to highlight your interest in another subject area to future employers.

Can I waitlist for courses for my concentration or minor?

As concentrations and minors are optional components of our degree programs, we cannot accept waitlist requests for courses for your concentration or minor. Although we strive to regularly offer courses for the available concentrations and minors, we cannot guarantee that students will be able to complete a concentration and/or minor during the course of their degree program. However, because there are several options for our concentrations and minors we anticipate that students will not experience significant difficulties completing their declared concentration and/or minor.

What is a concentration?

A degree concentration is a set of additional courses beyond those required for your major. They are optional components of some of our degree programs and are related to, but separate from, your major. Concentrations give students the opportunity to develop an individualized degree program that transcends the scope of a single academic discipline or major program. For students who complete all requirements, the concentration will be acknowledged on the official transcript.

What concentrations are available?

Concentrations for Arts and Science majors can be found in the current year's academic calendar under Faculty of Arts & Science --> Concentrations.

What is a minor?

A minor is an optional component of your degree program that requires a smaller number of courses to complete. A minor is a good way to complement your major, have your interests in another subject area recognized on your official transcript, and expand your employment opportunities. See our Academic Calendar for more details.

What minors are available to students registered in the Faculty of Arts & Science?

Minors are listed here.

How do I declare a minor or concentration?

See a Student Program Advisor in SU060 to complete a Program Change Form. The advisor will discuss the courses required in the minor or concentration andĀ advise you on how to plan to complete these requirements during the course of your degree program.