Generously supported by uLethbridge alumnus Terry Whitehead, the Play Right Prize competition aims to encourage excellence and development in student playwriting. This competition is open to ALL uLethbridge undergraduate students. One entry per student per competition. Student group entries welcome. Playwriting submissions judged by pre-selected blind jury.
Value: Various. First prize $1,500, second prize $750, and third prize $250. Winning play receives dramaturgical support from a member of the adjudicating jury. A reading of the winning entry and award presentation on March 24, 2022, in a format to be determined..
Eligibility: Open to ANY University of Lethbridge undergraduate student who is in good standing at the closing date of the competition. Only ONE entry per student will be accepted. Plays may be co-written by multiple students, provided they are all University of Lethbridge undergraduate students in good standing. The prizes will be divided among the authors with no input from the Department, the University, or the adjudicating committee.
- Script must be intended for the stage (not television, film or other media).
- Plays must have a reading time no shorter than 30 minutes and no longer than 60 minutes.
- Scripts must be submitted in English.
Deadline: January 31, 2022 | 4 PM
Submissions must adhere to the following:
- Completed Entry Form submitted as a separate attachment.
- The playwright's name must not appear anywhere on the script. Any appearance of the playwright's name or initials on any part of the script will disqualify the entry.
- All scripts must be submitted via email; no fax or physically handed-in versions will be accepted.
- Submit ONE copy of the play, in Microsoft Word via email to Shawn Coburn by the deadline.
- Each page must be numbered and include the title of the play. Leave a space between speaking parts.
- Failure to meet all rules and regulations will result in disqualification.
Review the complete submission guidelines below for further information and details.