Originally from Medicine Hat, Alberta, Roloff Beny earned Degrees from the University of Toronto and the State University of Iowa before developing an international reputation for his photographic work. He is considered one of the most distinguished artists in Canada and travelled widely throughout Europe and Asia for subjects which appeared in his collection. In recognition of his contributions to the Fine Arts, Beny was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree in 1972 from the University of Lethbridge. The University of Lethbridge received a significant bequest of Mr. Beny’s visual artwork upon his death in 1984. In 2004 The Roloff Beny Foundation endowed the Department of Art, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lethbridge, with the Roloff Beny Foundation Photographic Award in Fine Arts, an award that recognizes and supports excellence in the fine arts.
The Roloff Beny Foundation Photographic Award in Fine Arts is intended to recognize academic and artistic achievement of students with a focused interest in Photo-Arts. This award was established by the Roloff Beny Foundation to provide travel opportunities to complement the creative activity of outstanding students. The funds must be used to offset costs incurred by travel, photography (equipment and/or supplies), and/or tuition or fees. (Note regarding travel restrictions and exemptions: please consult the https://uleth.sharepoint.com/sites/insurance-risk/SitePages/Travel.aspx)
Value: Up to $5,000 for each award.
Number: Variable; minimum of two awards granted annually.
- At the time of application, applicants must be enrolled full-time in any BFA program at the University of Lethbridge, though are not required to be enrolled during the research / travel period.
- Applicants must demonstrate an understanding of the social, theoretical, and material issues of photography and related technologies within the context of contemporary art. Students authorized by the Faculty of Fine Arts as visiting or exchange (away) students at another institution may also be considered.
- The award is tenable upon confirmation of full-time enrolment at the University of Lethbridge or a visiting/exchange (away) institution in the semester that the application is made.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate academic achievement (minimum GPA of 3.0) and excellence in Photo-Arts.
- Recipients are selected by a committee comprised of members of the Department of Art, Faculty of Fine Arts.
- This is a competitive award and proposals are adjudicated on the merit of submissions.
- Within six (6) months of completion of project, successful candidates will submit a written report [500 words] and visual documentation of work produced to firstname.lastname@example.org. An exhibition of work resulting from the residency period will be mounted in the Department of Art.
Deadline: February 1, 2024
Applications must include the following items submitted as a single PDF document:
- Completed Application Form
- Personal Essay: maximum 500 words
- Portfolio of Work: 20 images that cohesively represent your work with accompanying image list
- Proposed Budget
- Proposed Project Dates
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Submit completed applications via email to: email@example.com
Congratulations to Anthony Onwordi and Maria Riviere, the recipients of this year's award!
Learn more about Art Internships & Residencies