Successfully admitted BHSc-PUBH students (any campus or admission route) are provided with the opportunity to pursue the Faculty of Health Science's Practicum in Public Health (PUBH 4550) course - worth 15.0 credit hours and is to be completed in addition to the student's base coursework - during their final year of study (but BEFORE applying to graduate from the university) as a means of gaining direct, hands-on work experience within the public health field while they are actively pursuing their degree.
At this time, PUBH 4550 is 100% OPTIONAL, meaning that any BHSc-PUBH student can still fully graduate from their degree without electing to complete a the practicum.
In order to be considered for PUBH 4550, all interested students are responsible for ensuring that the following conditions are met prior to submitting a practicum application to the Faculty of Health Sciences:
- All calendar-mandated pre-requisites have been sufficiently achieved (i.e. minimum cumulative GPA + specific courses)
- The Internship Specialist is emailed by no later than 6-months in advance of the desired semester of placement for intake consideration:
- March 1 or earlier, for a Fall (Sept-Dec) term placement
- June 1 or earlier, for a Spring (Jan-Apr) term placement
- November 1 or earlier, for a Summer (May-Aug) term placement
- *Students desiring an international practicum are to email the Internship Specialist by no later than 12-months in advance
Further detailed information about PUBH 4550 (e.g. candidate shortlisting, pre-placement requirements, roles & responsibilities, student testimonies etc.) can be viewed in the below weblinks: