The Treat FTD fund aims to support programs testing drugs or devices for FTD disorders while building clinical data around novel FTD mechanisms in human disease and corresponding biomarker endpoints in response to treatment. The fund aims to de-risk clinical programs by supporting clinical trials with clear go/no-go criteria and if positive, sufficient data to encourage follow on funding of the approach. Programs will be considered that test novel or repurposed drug candidates or devices in phase 1 or phase 2 clinical trials for FTD disorders, led by academic researchers or biotechnology companies. Both disease-modifying and symptomatic approaches will be accepted.
The RFP seeks to support clinical trials with:
- biological mechanisms that have a sound scientific rationale for FTD
- suitable clinical trial designs, that may include features such as basket trials, adaptive study designs or other novel approaches
- biomarkers that can indicate target engagement and/or downstream pharmacologic effects
- biomarker endpoints that can provide a deeper understanding of the drug mechanism and disease progression
Although the strongest proposals will contain all of these aspects, any approaches with a sound biological rationale and well justified outcome measures for the patient population will be considered.
Up to $2,000,000 based on stage and scope of the trial. For studies requiring additional support, co-funding from other funding agencies or investors is encouraged. Payment structure will be negotiated and based on milestone achievements and patient enrollment.
Funding is open to researchers and clinicians worldwide at:
- Academic medical centers, universities or non-profits. Industry partnerships are encouraged.
- Biotechnology companies. Funding is provided through mission-related investments that require return on investment based upon scientific and/or business milestones. Existing companies and new startups are eligible.
Letter of Intent: February 5th, 2021
Full Proposal: March 19th, 2021