Faculty members in all participating departments are happy to involve undergraduate students in their research, using state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. Our faculty members often collaborate with other departments, community members and employers on research projects—giving you the opportunity to get additional hands-on experience.
Our location’s strong farming and ranching economy offers the opportunity to experience the practical application of agricultural research and methodology. You may have the opportunity to participate in field studies or gain employment with local researchers at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge Research Centre, the Animal Disease Research Institute, Lethbridge College and numerous agriculturally based businesses throughout Southern Alberta.
Some current faculty research areas include:
- Plant biotechnology
- Crop production through use of soil amendments
- Reduction of agricultural and livestock impact on the surrounding environments
- Enzymology and molecular biology of lipid biosynthesis in oilseeds
- Quality and chemistry of food lipids and the presence and chemistry of nutraceutical food components
- Plant hormone production
- Water toxicology
- Structure of beef processing in Canada
- Socio-economic implications of bioproducts and bioprocesses
- Pests and the economics of pest control
- Farm-level decision-making analysis and risk
- Global environmental change and water resources
- Potato development