High School vs. Post-Secondary Supports

What Will be Different in Post-Secondary?

It is important to remember that the laws that regulate accommodations at college and university are different than those for high school. Many post-secondary institutions require more specific and comprehensive documentation to show proof of a disability than is required in high school (especially for ADHD and learning disabilities). Incoming students will not automatically receive the same accommodations at college or university that they received at high school. The post-secondary environment is one that emphasizes independent adult learning and will require you to develop your own voice and learn to navigate your academic journey accordingly. To discuss available accommodations, students should contact the Accessible Learning Centre team to see how supports may differ for you.