Do I Qualify for (AB) WCB Coverage
In accordance with Alberta Worker's Compensation Act, the below flowchart outlines the criteria for WCB Coverage in relation to Post Secondary Education students on a practicum placement at a work site. The following link will open a chart and display information in order that a particular scenario may be navigated and to further aid in determining if coverage is available or not:
Practicum Student WCB Coverage_final.pdf
If a WCB deeming order is required, consultation with the Faculty overseeing the practicum and Department of Wellness and Recognition is necessary. Wellness & Recognition oversees and manages Student and Faculty requests for deeming orders and also is the point department for WCB claim management.
A. Students registered at the University and taking courses where practicum is required and are placed with an employer outside of Alberta may be covered by WCB if Section 28 of the Alberta Workers Compensation Act are met:
- Student is a resident of Alberta
- Student is attending the institution
- Course is a recognized program
- Practicum is required as part of the course
- Period of time is less than 12 continuous months
- Confirmation the province or country where going will accept the extension of coverage
B. Non-Alberta resident students who are registered at the University and taking courses where practicum is required and are placed with an employer outside of Alberta are not covered by AB WCB program as criteria listed in Section 28 of the Alberta Workers Compensation Act are not satisfied.
The University does not purchase worker's compensation coverage for distant learners and students are responsible to locate a practicum site that will agree to:
- Accept the student without worker's compensation coverage in order to complete the practical component of the educational program or
- Will agree to cover the student during the practicum at their expense and risk in order for the student to complete the educational practicum components required for the program, and/or
- Agrees to accept the student with proof of medical, dental and accidental death and dismemberment coverage.
C. The University participates in a Student Accident & Injury Coverage program for the benefit of registered distant learners who do not qualify for AB, WCB coverage. Questions relating to policy terms and exclusions should be directed to the Faculty the student is completing the practicum under and then if further discussion is warranted please contact the department of Campus Safety, Insurance & Risk at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-329-2099.
D. Students are additionally required to retain their own Health, Medical and dental insurance plan. Students registered PTE/FTE are automatically enrolled in the ULSU Student plan, unless proof of alternate coverage is provided to the plan administrator and student has opted out of student plan.