Welcome to the Department of Political Science at the University of Lethbridge. Our department boasts an incredible group of professors all of whom are at the cutting edge of their fields. Our faculty members have national and international reputations for their work and are often asked to contribute to important public debates, for instance through testifying before Parliamentary committees or by commenting in the media.
The Department offers four subfields of study and encourages students to choose a variety of courses from each area to ensure you gain a broad view of the discipline. These subfields, that cover significant areas of study within political science, are Canadian politics, comparative politics, international relations, and political theory.
We get to know our students very well and are dedicated to helping them to succeed. We are happy to involve students in our research projects, ensuring that students acquire first-hand experience and real-world skills while working towards their degree. In addition, our faculty members often collaborate with other departments, community members, and employers on research projects—giving them the opportunity to further develop their nexperiences and skills.
Faculty in the Department of Political Science find themselves in a unique position to:
- Access excellent undergraduate students who can provide research assistance;
- Teach students to participate and assist in policy change;
- Collaborate with faculty outside of the Department of Political Science on joint projects and research areas;
- Access exceptionally well-equipped facilities;
- Work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing discipline;
- Work within one of the best, largest-profile, small, Political Science departments in Canada;
- Work with community members and local industry on various projects and initiatives.
The world of politics changes quickly and political scientists always have lots to talk about. We’re excited to have you join the conversation.