Please contact us at alc@uleth.ca. Each student’s case is different for the documentation recommendations for specific supports. For the most comprehensive accommodation plan, documentation should be completed by the appropriate health professional and include; diagnosis, severity/ frequency of symptoms, impact on academics, specific recommendations for accommodations, doctor signature and the date.

You do not have to personally discuss your accommodations with your professor should you not want to. Each semester, you will sign the ALC Policy Form. When you sign your policy form for the semester, you indicate which Professors you would like to be notified of your accommodations. Once signed, we send the Professor an email indicating that you are a registered student with our office, and the accommodations that you receive (we do not disclose diagnosis).

Unless you need to request a change in start time or date of the exam, then you do not need to contact your professor when you book an exam. You will book your exams with the Accessible Learning Centre using Clockwork. Our Exam Coordinator will contact your professor to indicate that you are taking the exam with our centre and request your exam.

Yes, as long as you have supporting documentation. You will go through the same intake appointment process to determine the best supports for you. If specialized supports are required we can discuss your individual options further.

No. We do not have access to high school records. You must book an intake appointment with the Accessible Learning Centre and supply your supporting documentation (you can request the original assessment or medical letter from your high school).

Not necessarily. There is more independent learning in University, and less personal support time. That being said, we do ensure that you have an equitable learning experience and will provide you with the appropriate accommodations/ supports.

A learning strategist can assist with developing a range of learning skills, depending on what you want/ need to work on. Some topics may include; time management, scheduling, study skills, reading skills, etc.

Our Specialized Support Coordinator can assist with installation and training on technologies that we order. Please schedule an appointment for training.

If a student suspects learning challenges, our office can provide a suspected learning disability screening. It is through this process that our staff can appropriately refer students for further assessment/assistance.

Please contact "alc@uleth.ca" to inquire. 

In special circumstances, we may provide temporary accommodations for serious medical situations that negatively impact academics during a semester.  These still require documentation from a medical professional and are reviewed on a case by case basis.


First, you must register with the Accessible Learning Centre. Then, you must apply for Student Loans via the Alberta Student Aid website. You must be eligible for and apply for full-time or part-time student loans. To be eligible for grants, you must show financial need to the government by qualifying for student loans (be approved for student loan funding). You don’t necessarily need to take out student loans in order to receive grants, but just be approved for them.

Our office will then fill out a Schedule 4 (application for Service & Equipment Grant) to request funding for the services or technologies that you will require for the academic school year. You will need to sign this form and then our office will submit the form on your behalf.

Yes, we can assist with Permanent Disability grant applications for any province.

Student Aid will notify you via email once you have been approved for funding. In order to receive your funding, you will need to complete the 'Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement' (MSFAA). You must always complete and return both MSFAA agreements (Alberta MSFAA + Canada MSFAA) even if you only receive one type of loan, and always provide banking information for both agreements. Once complete your funding will be direct deposited to your bank account. Information on how to complete the MSFAA will be emailed to you by Student Aid.

If you have an extenuating circumstance that prevents you from applying to Student Aid, you should contact the Accessible Learning Centre at the earliest opportunity to ensure that you don’t experience a delay in services.

There is a 4-6 week processing timeframe from grant application to approval. You are encouraged to contact the Accessible Learning Centre to initiate the grant application process no less than 4 weeks before the start of the semester. Services are activated according to grant approval dates.