Support and Information for Students


If you have experienced sexual violence, there are support resources available on and off campus. You are not alone.

You are not required to file a complaint in order to seek support. You can access confidential assistance for a sexual violence incident that happened on-campus, off-campus, as a U of L student or before you became part of the U of L community. In this section section you will find information on supports and resources available to students.


You can take time to consider your options

Whether an incident of sexual or gender based violence happened recently or long ago, you may feel that moving forward is an impossible task. You have options: there are many resources on campus and in the community to support you

Speak to Someone you Trust

You do not have to face sexual violence alone. Consider talking to a friend, family member, co-worker or someone else you trust. It's okay to let people know what you need.

Seek Medical Care

If you have been sexually assaulted within the last seven days, consider accessing the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) at any emergency room in Lethbridge. A specially trained doctor can conduct a physical exam and, if you want, collect forensic evidence.

Write Down What Happened

Consider writing down what happened in as much detail as possible. Although this may be a painful and emotional task, your written account can be extremely helpful if you decide to have the incident investigated and pursue criminal prosecution.

Seek Counselling or Emotional Support

Any U of L student can access free, confidential counselling at Counselling & Career Services. 

Take Care of Yourself


There is no right way or wrong way to heal. Everyone's reaction to the experience and trauma of sexual violence is unique. Be gentle with yourself and know that healing from sexual violence can take time.

Consider using these resources  to guide your self-care:

Book a Support Session

You can access confidential support for Sexual and Gender Based Violence through the university without submitting a formal complaint. 

The Sexual Violence Prevention Educator can help you with: 

  • Special Arrangements 
  • Safety Planning 
  • Submitting a Formal Complaint
  • Information on Criminal Reporting

To book a support session, please click here and fill out the following form.