Reporting Options

You have choice to choose what reporting option is best for you and your pathway to recovery and recourse.

You have the right to decide to whether or not to report sexual violence. There are many different pathways to recovery, regardless of how you choose to move forward, it is helpful to honor the ways in which you care for yourself and receive care from others. No matter the option you choose, sexual violence support and education is here to offer you support along the way. 

A Disclosure may be made to the Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Prevention Coordinator, a counsellor, doctor, nurse, legal advisor or other trusted professional for the purpose of receiving support and referrals, without filing a Complaint with the University. These are private and confidential options where the University is not aware of the occurrence and the individual still retains the ability to file a Complaint at a later date with the University if they wish to do so. A disclosure here does not initiate a Complaint by the individual who has experienced Sexual or Gender Based Violence.

ULethbridge has partnered with REES (Respect, Educate, Empower Survivors) to provide online reporting for sexual violence on campus.Click here to access the REES Online Reporting Tool.

REES allows members of our campus community to Create a Record of an incident and choose from multiple reporting options: Anonymous Report, Connect to My Campus, Report to Police, or Repeat Perpetrator Identification (RPI). REES provides information about campus and community-based resources such as sexual assault centres, health care, and support services.  REES can be accessed online anywhere, anytime. Go to select from the drop-down list.  

Please note: A Report is NOT a formal complaint and the purpose is NOT to prompt an investigation. A Report provides an option for survivors or a Third Party to provide anonymous data to the University about campus-related Sexual and Gender-Based Violence incidents , without making a formal complaint. This data can be used to inform policy, develop prevention education, enhance security on campus and meet reporting requirements.

The decision to file a Complaint is the choice of the person who has been subjected to or affected by Sexual Violence. A Complainant has the right to subsequently withdraw a Complaint at any time. If a Complaint is withdrawn, University supports are still available. The University may act at its own discretion in the absence of a Complaint or if a Complaint is withdrawn, once it is made aware of an alleged Misconduct. Complaints can be submitted to the Sexual and Gender-Based Prevention Coordinator or pursuant to the procedure outlined in Appendix A. 5.8.3. There is no time limit for filing a Sexual Violence Complaint. To access the Universities Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Prevention Policy please click here. 

An Individual may choose to prepare a personal record of information of an experience of Sexual Violence to ensure the experience is documented in close proximity to the time it occurred to assist in recalling details should a Complaint be made at a later date. The individual who experienced Sexual Violence prepares the personal record of information and is responsible for retaining the document. A personal record of information does not initiate a Complaint but it may be used by the individual creating the record to lodge a Complaint or make a criminal report.

Please click here for the Personal Record of Information Document

When the individual who has experienced Sexual Violence wishes, they may engage the criminal justice system by reporting the matter to the appropriate Police Services, file a civil lawsuit at the appropriate courthouse, make a complaint to the Alberta Human Rights Commission or report a violation pursuant to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, or make a report to any other applicable external body in the circumstances. The individual is also encouraged to report the matter to the University after filing any such report. If an individual is in need of community support while going through the criminal justice system please contact Chinook Sexual Assault Centre, this wonderful agency can offer crisis support, court support, peer support groups and more. Please note individuals can still receive support though the University while accessing community services. 

The University will report the matter to Police Services in circumstances of imminent risk of harm to self or others or to public safety.