What is HYRS?
HYRS is the Highschool Youth Researcher Summer program. This six-week consecutive program runs annually, at the University of Alberta, the University of Calgary, and at the University of Lethbridge. The program will run July 9 – August 20, 2021.
During this program, students will:
- Participate in hands-on work with Alberta Innovates-funded research groups at the University of Lethbridge
- Join a team of PhD, Master and Bachelor students
- Work on multidisciplinary projects which may include:
- healthcare policy
- molecular imaging
- recreational therapy
- Work in areas on the cutting edge of science not yet in textbooks
However, HYRS is much more than laboratory research! Additional activities include:
- Guest speakers talk about their careers in research
- HYRS Virtual Showcase Night where students invite their parents, mentors, and members of the public to view their research in a symposium setting at the U of L
- Meet other students with similar interests
Summer 2021 Showcase
During summer 2021 students worked with U of L research groups and gained first-hand laboratory research experience. This showcase was an opportunity for these exceptional high school students to display their contributions to biomedical and health research in southern Alberta.
Student speakers featured in the video below: Amber Quo, Eva Glenn, Finley Lothian, Jorja Salmon, Kieran Schmidtle, Priyanshi Patel, Trinity Ramos and Zaki Olvis
Learn about what past students had to say about their uLethbridge HYRS experience via the stories below: