Income Tax Information

If you have any questions about the information in this section, please contact the Cash Office by email at or by telephone at 403-329-2469.  The University of Lethbridge staff cannot provide tax advice.  Webpages linked within are intended to provide general direction of government resources.

T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate

Each calendar year, a T2202 form is created and is accessible to students who are enrolled and have paid eligible post-secondary costs during the calendar year.  A student should maintain and utilize this form when completing their personal tax return, which certifies their eligibility to take advantage of any Canada Revenue Agency Income Tax Act tax credits available related to these costs. 

Simply log into the Bridge to view and/or print your T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate using the navigation trail:  Student Tab > Student Account > Canadian Tax Forms.

Please note:

  1. Eligible tuition fees does not equal assessed tuition and fees because:
    1. Not all student fees are eligible for a tax credit
    2. The amount reported is the lower of the eligible assessed amounts and the amount that you paid. 
    3. This form includes amounts related to calendar year January – December, and does not follow the academic year of September – April plus summer sessions.
    4. Application fees are eligible for tax credit, but not included in your T2202 Eligible Tuition Fee amount because it is normally paid before you have a student account established.  Maintain your receipt or proof of payment if you wish to claim the fee.
  2. If you cannot view your T2202 prior to 2019, you may have fees owing, contact the Cash Office.
  3. Payment of past-due balances may result in changes to your T2202 from previous years.  Contact the Cash Office to obtain a revised T2202.  It is your responsibility to notify the Canada Revenue Agency of any changes to your tax information.

Public Transit (UPASS) Tax Receipt

The University does not issue a separate receipt for amounts paid for public transit, however tax credits are available for public transportation from time to time as directed by the government.  Students are encouraged to refer to their fee assessment on the Bridge to identify amounts paid for public transportation and investigate if a tax credit is available on their personal income tax return annually.

T4A Tax Slips - Scholarship, bursaries, fellowships, artists' project grants and prizes

The University issues T4A slips for each calendar year to students who received University of Lethbridge scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, artists’ project grants and prizes.  Certain scholarships, bursaries and artists’ project grants are not taxable and a basic scholarship exemption amount may be eligible to reduce your tax burden.  Refer to Income Tax Folio S1-F2-C3 Scholarships, Research Grants and Other Education Assistance issued by the Canada Revenue Agency for more information.

Simply log into the Bridge to view and/or print your T4A using the navigation trail:  Employee Tab > Tax Forms > Slips for Income Tax Returns.

Canadian Income Tax

Income tax is administered by the Canada Revenue agency for each taxation year of January 1 – December 31.  Every resident of Canada or person working in Canada is responsible to determine the tax they owe and complete annual income tax returns, which will calculate their liability for federal and provincial taxes as applicable.  Tax returns are also used by the government to implement programs such as GST credit and Canada Child Benefit for low to middle income tax payers. 

Since the Canadian tax system is based on residency, International students studying in Canada may be required to file a Canadian Income Tax Return.