Course or Program Issues

It’s time for me to register for classes but I don’t know what courses to take, who can help me with this?

Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your options! Your advisor is here to help you through your academic career, and course planning is one of their biggest resources for you.

Check your Program Planning Guide (PPG) to see what courses are required for your program and major. Make sure you have the prerequisites for all of your courses and that you are not taking a course that you may have received credit for if you have previous post-secondary experience.

What is a prerequisite course and why do I need to take it?

Usually a prerequisite is a lower level or foundational course you need to have taken to be successful in a next-level course. Sometimes the prerequisite is a specific number of courses or credit hours completed.

A co-requisite is a course taken at the same time or before the desired course. Click on “View Catalog Entry” when registering or look at course descriptions to check for prerequisites before you register. 

Our registration system does not prevent you from registering for courses for which you do not have the prerequisite. Faculties frequently check courses and remove students who are missing prerequisites or corequisites. Although you will be notified if you are removed from a course. In some situations, a prerequisite waiver can be considered, please check with your academic advisor if you feel you qualify for a prerequisite waiver.

What is the Liberal Education List requirement?

The Liberal Education List Requirement (Lib Ed Requirement) is a requirement for all undergraduate students (with the exception of Second Degree, PDA/CPA Bridging, and the Certificate program). Liberal Education ensures you develop breadth of knowledge and skills in critical thinking, teambuilding, problem solving, effective communication, and information literacy. It encourages you to integrate information learned from different subjects and become an active citizen in your community.

Depending on your program, you may have to take courses from each of three lists: fine arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Students in a 40 course degree program must complete a total of 12 courses from the lists but since some (or many) of the courses in your major count towards this requirement, you will likely complete courses on one or more of the lists just by following your program planning guide! These courses may also count towards your minor or your electives.

Check your individualized Program Planning Guide to see how many Lib Ed courses you need for your particular program and what the rules and limitations are. If you do not have this, please contact your academic advisor. For more information, and to confirm which courses fit into your particular program, you can also talk to your academic advisor. They can recommend useful courses for different programs, areas and majors. 

Our Academic Calendar has a list of the courses that count towards the Lib Ed List Requirement. See the section called Academic Regulations, Policies, and Program Requirements. You can also find out if the course you are interested in has a Lib Ed designation by checking in the Course Catalog.

I want to plan my courses for the entire year and need to know which courses in my major will be offered, who can I talk to?

At this time, the University of Lethbridge only releases the timetable for one semester at a time. The full year course timetable will be available beginning in 2019, but in the interim, please contact your academic advisor for course planning assistance.

I can't get into a class that I need for my major or program, what do I do now?

To get the best chance of getting into your classes, be sure to register as soon as your registration window opens. If you are unsuccessful, you can keep trying to get in to the class via the Bridge during the add period (you can check those dates here). You can also contact your academic advisor who will be able to provide you with alternatives and other options.

What do I do if I can’t get into a class that I want to take?

You’ll need to keep trying to get in through the Bridge up until the add period is over. You can check and confirm the add deadline for every semester here—it usually runs  approximately one week after the first day of classes each fall and spring semester, and three days after the first day of classes for summer semesters. If this is a required course for your major, and you are worried not getting in may delay your graduation, please speak with your academic advisor.

I want to try a course outside my major but am worried I might get a low grade… are there any options for me?

You can designate a number of courses credit/non-credit depending on your program. If you earn a grade of C or better, the grade will appear on your transcript and will count toward your GPA. If you pass but earn below a C, you will get credit (CR will appear on your transcript) for the course, and it may count towards your degree but will not be included in your GPA. If you fail the course, you will not get credit (NC will appear on your transcript) for the course, and there will be no impact on your GPA. You have to designate the course as credit/non-credit early in the semester.

See the part four of the Academic Calendar and Course Catalogue (Academic Regulations Policies and Program Requirements) for more information and limitations.

There aren’t any required classes for my degree offered next semester, what do I do?

Please get in touch with your academic advisor to make sure you haven’t overlooked anything. There may be courses that will fit in your program that you did not realize.

If you still feel like there are no classes after talking with your academic advisor, consider completing a co-op work term or an international exchange.

A course required for my major is never offered. How am I supposed to finish my degree?

Talk to your academic advisor! They can help you with your course planning and see if there is a problem with the timetable or address any issues or concerns you may have.

I want to change my major/minor and/or my program, who do I talk to?

Changing your major and/or minor is as easy as having one of the front desk staff filling out a form with you and signing it. If you have questions about how your program will change, please check with your academic advisor.

As a Calgary Campus student, you can change your program with ease as well, but please remember that the program you are interested in may only be available in Lethbridge. If you are interested in changing your program and remaining in Calgary, please check out our available programs!

 What is the process if I want to relocate to Lethbridge?

Relocating to either campus is a seamless process for our students. First, we recommend that you let your academic advisor know so they can make sure there are no issues. It’s as easy as registering for Lethbridge courses when your registration window opens rather than Calgary.

I want to drop/withdraw from a required course for my program but am worried I won't have room in my schedule to take it later, what can I do?

Before dropping or withdrawing from a course, talk to your instructor to see if they can give you recommendations.

If you are struggling with the course load or learning the material, they may be able to help. You can also see if there is a tutor available or other resources for you by contacting the Student Services Coordinator.

If you absolutely need to drop or withdraw, contact your academic advisor to see how this will impact your schedule for your academic career. They may be able to give you suggestions, such as summer courses.