Established to honour the legacy of Shannon’s love for the horse and extensive involvement in the Quarter Horse industry. Shannon was an active director and treasurer for both the Quarter Horse Association of Alberta and the Canadian Quarter Horse Association, and was an Alberta director for the American Quarter Horse Association. Her involvement also extended to Equine Canada committees.
The goal of these awards is to attract and encourage horse-oriented students to pursue post-secondary education so they are better prepared for leadership and excellence in the equine industry.
- One award valued at $2,000, applied directly to tuition.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Be entering more advanced years of study (third year and beyond) in any of the following fields: agriculture, agri-business, animal health technology, or veterinary medicine that can be applied to horses or the horse industry.
- Be attending an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution.
- Provide two letters of reference.
- Preference will be given to students with a rural background and/or with extensive participation in the horse industry who plan to pursue an equine-oriented career.
- Must demonstrate leadership experience
Financial need may be considered
*Note: If you are entering your first or second year of study, please apply for the Shannon Burwash Award for Encouragement in Equine & Agricultural Studies.