Medical Clinic Appointments
The Health Centre is here to provide health care to all University Students. Physician appointments are available Monday to Friday from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm; walk in appointments are accepted based on Physician Availability. Please note the best way to ensure you will be seen is to call and book an appointment.
*The Health Centre will see University Staff/Faculty for their episodic care needs (illness, injury, etc.) yet strongly encourages Staff/Faculty to find a Family GP for any chronic/ongoing issues.
- Call to book; 403-329-2484 ext. 1
- Book in person; we are located in the basement of the Student Union Building (SU020)
The Health Centre has a strict policy in regards to late comers, cancellations and no shows:
- Arriving Late:
- If you running late and are unsure if you will make it to your appointment on time call the Health Centre to inform the staff you will be arriving late. Health Centre staff will inform you as to whether you need to reschedule or if there is still time that day for you to be seen.
- If you arrive late for your booked appointment and have not informed the Health Centre, you WILL be required to rebook your appointment and MAY be charged for the missed appointment.
- Booked appointments must be cancelled with at least 24 hours notice.
- Failure to do so may results in a charge.
- No Show:
- If you do not show up for your booked appointment you MAY be charged for this missed appointment.
If you walk-in to the Health Centre, you will be asked about your health concern. Depending on the severity of your health problem and/or the availability of the health care provider, you will be either booked in our clinic, referred to a community walk-in clinic, or to the local hosptial for emergencies.
This faciliates the scheduling process ensuring that you have sufficient time with a practitioner while also allowing practitioners to maximize the time they spend on campus. Appointments that are booked incorrectly may need to be rebooked to ensure adequate time and readiness for equipment. If you require privacy to state the purpose of your visit, please ask to speak with staff away from the desk and in private.
Occassionally, you may be unable to wait for a schedule appointment and/or need to see a physician outside of the posted clinic hours. There are a number of clinics in Lethbridge who offer walk-in clinic services. Please note that walk-in clinics generally opperate on a first come first serve basis and may close their walk-in hours early due to client load. You may want to call ahead to ensure that the clinic is accepting patients for walk-in.
On Campus Care
- Emergency Services 403.329.2345 or 2345 on an in-house phone.
Emergency first aid care is available 24 hours a day on campus. Security Representatives are trained to assist with all medical emergencies and are available at all times.
For Serious or Life Threatening Emergancies
- Call 911 (9-911 from internal phone) for Fire, Ambulance and Police
- Remain calm and do not leave the injured/ill individual.
- Ensure the scene is safe - minimize further danger to the injured person or yourself. Do not move the person unless there is a high risk of further injury.
- Provide the dispatcher with the required information;
- You will be asked if you require police, ambulance or fire services.
- You will be asked to provide your name, phone number, location.
- Inform Security Services 403-329-2345 (2345 from a in-house phone) of your 911 call immediately. They will be able to assist the ambulance/paramedics to reach you.
For Non-emergent Injury or Illness
- call a Security Representative at (403) 329-2345 or 2345 (on an in-house phone).
- Stay on the line and a Security Reprsentative will speak with you shortly. Fully describe what is happening and the representative will come to your location.
Off Campus Care
- Bigelow Fowler Clinic East; 103, 2049 Mayor Magrath Dr. South; 403-327-3977
- Bigelow Fowler Clinic West; 30 Jerry Potts Blvd West; 403-381-8444
- Campbell Clinic West; 160 Columbia Blvd. West; 403-381-7000
- Campbell Clinic North; 1240 2A Ave. North, (inside London Drugs); 587-425-0200
- Lethbridge Medical Clinic; 517 6 Street South; 403-394-2002
- Nsisi Medical Clinic - Walk-ins for Dr. Sheena Christy; 414 13 Street North; 403-942-1505
*** Note: All clinics may close their walk-in hours early due to client load. All clinics require you to bring your provincial health care card and picture ID ***
CRH is the only 24/7 medical emergency care system in Lethbridge
HealthLink is a free service to provide you with health information and advice. Access is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with support provided by registered nurses and other health care professionals. Call them toll free at 8-1-1 or view health information on line at MyHealth.Alberta.ca.
If you have a need for a specialty medication, did you know that a plan is required to ensure the presciption of that medication occurs in a timely fashion? Some medications just need an appointment that may have to be booked for a longer appointment and therefore may be a week or two into the future. Some medication may require a "Triplicate Form". These medications include certain pain medications (including analgesics such as demerol, morphine products, hydrocodone/oxycodone products and short acting ADD medications like ritalin). FIND WAYS TO REMIND YOURSELF OF THE NEED TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT AT LEAST 2 WEEKS AHEAD OF TIME! Put the reminder in your paper or computer reminder system ahead of the time you will run out. This clinic does NOT refill medications over the phone- you must book an appointment in person.
Specialty Prescription Planning for Triplicate Forms:
Many clinics have NO triplicate forms available and most have limited ability to prescribe using a triplicate form. Therefore, patients need to be pro-active and work with their clinic to make a prescription plan. This plan may include:
1) ensuring that when you book, you clearly state the name of the medication and if it is a specialty medication or a triplicate form medication
2) a review with the physician of the need for the specialty medication
3) an offering by the physician of alternate medications that do not require a specialty triplicate form
2) a review with staff of how that particular clinic offers specialty medications.
3) a plan of how far ahead the client needs to book an appointment to refill medications and which physician within the clinic will prescribe.
It is your job as a client to ensure that you understand the Prescription Plan for your medication. Please AVOID last minute prescriptions with the need for triplicate medications- you will need AT LEAST TWO weeks in most cases for an appointment to renew. You MUST clearly state when you are booking the appointment that it is for a triplicate form medication AND tell the booking clerk the name of the medication.