*upcoming local event
Hands-On Workshop on Pressbooks
Build your own textbook by either adapting existing resources or writing your own from scratch
Tuesday, June 8, 2021 from 12:00 - 1:15 p.m.
Registration Link: https://uleth.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwoce2orDsoHNbyGtfZbplUyYxFe7hVqZ33
Open Educational Resources (OER) are resources such as textbooks, videos, images and more, that are free of cost to access digitally and that have an open license that allows reuse, revision, and redistribution. In addition to the cost savings for students if faculty replace commercial resources in their courses with OER, there are significant benefits to being able to revise OER: e.g., they can be adapted to better fit a particular course or context and can also be kept up to date.
In this 75 minute hands-on workshop, you will have the opportunity to:
- learn about recent open textbook trends in higher education
- get to know the Alberta Open Education Pressbooks Initiative
- find high-quality open textbooks in different academic disciplines
- understand open licensing basics
- discuss your own ideas for the creation and adaption of teaching materials for your courses
- try the Pressbooks editor to familiarize yourself with its functionality for adapting existing teaching materials or creating new ones from scratch
- ask any questions you might have on the matter of open textbooks
This hands-on workshop will co-hosted by Dr. Rumi Graham (U of L Library Copyright Advisor and GSA Librarian) and Joerdis Weilandt (Teaching Centre Teaching Development Facilitator).
*past international event
2021 Open Education Conference
Online – 21-22 April 2021 and available to anyone afterwards
Organised by the Association for Learning Technology and partnership with Reclaim Hosting’s Domains Conference, this special edition of the much loved event is the 12th annual conference for Open Education research, practice and policy. We are proud to incorporate a special strand hosted by the Domains Conference – bringing our two communities closer together in 2021.
A team of Co-Chairs led the event: Heading up the Domains strand chaired by Lauren (Brumfield) Hanks and Jim Groom; the OER side was chaired by Lou Mycroft, Louise Drumm and Joe Wilson.
*past local event
Local U of L educators share their projects, questions and views on OER in university classrooms.
Tuesday, March 16, 2021 from 10-11 am
As part of the stimulating conversation among U of L OER users and interested participants, the following details (including names of OER champions and the links to their teaching resources ) were shared.