Preferred or Legal Name Change

Legal Name Change

Current and former students can request a change to their legal name on University documents. When you complete this form, send the form by email to or print the form and drop it off in-person at the Lethbridge Registrar’s Office (SU140) or the Calgary Campus Office (S6032). You’ll also need to supply official documentation of your legal name change to support your request. See the form for a list of official documentation options, and how to guarantee your official documentation if submitting this form by email.

Preferred First Name Update

Current students can request to have their preferred first name added to their student record. This allows a non-legal first name that you prefer to be displayed in University systems such as email, Moodle, Zoom, and Office 365. Adding a preferred first name does not replace your legal first name on official University records and documents. To add your preferred first name, email, include your student ID number, and request a preferred name. To have your University email address changed to reflect your preferred name, please submit an Email Address Change Request via IT Services.