Slips, trips and falls in the workplace are one of the most common causes of injury, particularly in winter.
The U of L Slip, Trip and Fall Prevention Program provides employees and students with the tools necessary to recognize, assess and control workplace hazards that may result in a slip, trip or fall. The goal of this program is the prevention of injuries.
Slip, trip and fall hazards should be reported immediately to the area supervisor.
Slip, trip and fall hazards requiring corrective action by Facilities should be reported by calling 403-329-2602 (or Security Services at 403-329-2345), identifying this as a safety hazard.
Report all hazards and incidents (injuries,near misses) to Safety Services by submitting an online Safety Report.
Learn more by reading the Slip, Trip, Fall Prevention Tips & FAQ and clicking the links in the Resources below.
Promote awareness by downloading one of the Safety Talks or posters below to share at your next meeting.
Winter Slips & Falls
Walk like a penquin to avoid slips and fall in wintery conditions!!!
- Bend slightly and walk flat footed
- Point your feet out slightly like a penguin
- Keep your centre of gravity over your feet as much as possible
- Watch where you are stepping
- Take shorter, shuffle-like steps
- Keep your arms at your sides (not in your pockets!)
- Concentrate on keeping your balance
- Go S-L-O-W-L-Y