The University of Lethbridge in compliance with the Alberta Fire Code require that all buildings on campus have at lease one fire drill annually.
Campus Incident Response Team (CIRT) members assist with the evacuation of the buildings. Do you want to join the CIRT? We are always looking for members. For more information contact Emergency Management.
When you hear a fire alarm or see flashing fire strobes, evacuate the building immediately!
- It is important to be familiar with your evacuation routes before a fire.
- Take note of the two nearest exits to your office, room, or workspace.
- You should always have two ways out of your building. It is natural to use only one way in and out of your building, particularly when you take the elevator to an upper floor.
- Familiarize yourself with the stairwells and where they lead before an evacuation is necessary.
During a fire drill, representatives from Campus Safety are looking for the following things:
- All people have evacuated the building
- All doors and windows are closed
- All halls, stairwells, fire system components, and walkways are clear and accessible
- Elevators are bypassed in favor of stairs
- All people have moved to their nearest Assembly Point
- The building is evacuated in a reasonable amount of time
- Use stairs
- DO NOT use elevators
- DO NOT run
- Move to the nearest Assembly Point
- There is no such thing as a "false alarm" evacuation is mandatory and sensible whenever the fire alarm is activated