Class 3B and 4 lasers are regulated in Alberta under the Radiation Protection Regulation. This regulation requires that Class 3B and 4 lasers be registered before they can be used. Safety Services administers of the University's laser safety program and must be contacted prior to the acquisition and use of any lasers that fall within the Class 3B and 4 classification.
Laser Safety Training is required for users of Class 3B and 4 lasers. Contact Safety Services to enroll.
The registration process requires a formal compliance inspection to be carried out to ensure that the laser meets certain specified safety standards before it may be registered. The safety standard that has been adopted under the Radiation Protection Regulation for Class 3B and 4 lasers is the American National Standard for Safe Use of Lasers, ANSI Z136.1 - 2014.
Guidelines for setting up a laser lab:
- Review the LASER SAFETY MANUAL.
- Contact email@example.com and arrange to meet with the Radiation Safety Officer to review laser safety program requirements.
- Obtain laser specifications (e.g. laser class, power/energy per pulse, wavelength(s), beam diameter, beam divergence).
- Obtain the manufacturer’s user manual and send a copy to the Radiation Safety Officer.
- Register your laser(s) with Safety Services completing the Registration of Designated Radiation Equipment Procedure.docx and the UofL_Application for registration of Designated Equipments.pdf.
- Complete Laser Safety Training (generic online training):
- Required for laser classes 3B and 4.
- Recommended for laser classes 1, 1M, 2, 2M and 3R (3a)
- PIs are also required to provide and document site-specific training for thier personnel for the laser systems that will be used.
- Set up your lab:
- Conduct a hazard assessment and implement all necessary engineering and administrative controls.
- Purchase appropriate personal protective equipment (laser protective eyewear, etc.)
- Arrange for a lab visit by the Radiation Safety Officer once setup is complete.
Laser hazard analysis software: calculate your MPE, OD, NHZ and NOHD with Easy Haz, an online calculation tool.
Recommended laser and laser safety equipment suppliers:
The following suppliers are recommended for laser and laser safety equipment purchases. Purchases must be made in accordance with the University’s Procurement of Goods and Services Policy