Neurodegenerative diseases of aging are among the least understood and most undertreated diseases today. Diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are placing a large and increasing burden on society. If ignored, the social and economic costs of managing these diseases will rise significantly within a generation. Meeting these challenges requires pioneering approaches to accelerating treatments.
The Early Phase Clinical Trials: Canada program was created to provide funding support for clinical trials and clinical trial sub-studies with excellent preliminary data.
Goal: To provide funding to support clinical trials and/or clinical trial sub-studies that could accelerate the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
Eligible Principal Applicants must meet all of the criteria below:
- Be a researcher currently working in Canada at least 30% of the time.
- Be at or above the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent.
- Be affiliated with a Canada Revenue Agency-qualified donee institution located in Canada.
Co-applicants and Collaborators must be at the post-doctoral level or above, and can be working outside Canada.
Applicants may appear in any role on any number of projects.
Projects must meet these conditions to be eligible:
- Be a clinical trial(s) and/or a clinical trial sub-study(s) that accelerates the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
- Projects that require only up to $300,000 over up to 18 months may also be submitted to the Rapid Response program.
- Translational research other than clinical trials and/or clinical trial sub-studies should be submitted to the Transformational Research program or the Rapid Response program.
- Be the development of a therapeutic and/or tool, and/or select complementary approaches.
For more information and application process, please visit the Weston Brain Institute wesbite.