The Respiratory Health Strategic Clinical NetworkTM (RHSCN) Scientific Office of Alberta Health Services (AHS) supports and provides training and mentorship opportunities to increase capacity in respiratory research across Alberta. The RHSCN Summer Studentship Program is designed to provide funding support to undergraduate students to participate and develop research skills applied to the area of respiratory health relevant to the RHSCN strategic goals.
The objectives of the RHSCN Summer Studentship Award are to:
- Create collaborative learning opportunities for undergraduate students across Alberta around respiratory health research topics of relevance to the RHSCN.
- Build student capacity in designing/conducting/leading small research projects in respiratory health.
- Contribute to the generation of new knowledge that advances key topics relevant to respiratory health, AHS and the RHSCN. Students will be asked to identify which of the RHSCN prioritized research questions is aligned with the proposed project.
Three RHSCN Summer Studentship Awards will be offered, providing a stipend $1,500/month per applicant for a maximum of 4 months during the summer ($6,000.00 total maximum per applicant). Matching funding is encouraged; however, additional funding will not be provided in excess of $6,000/summer for a 4-month period. The total funding support for this award is $12,000.00 (up to two awards).
2. Student/Trainee Eligibility:
Primary applicant/student: Eligible undergraduate students must be enrolled as full- or part-time students in an accredited education program in a health-related discipline (e.g., science, nursing, medicine, kinesiology, psychology, respiratory therapy, rehabilitation, etc.) during the period of the award. Students need not be enrolled in an Alberta institution to be eligible; however, the summer research activities must be completed in Alberta.
Partner applicant/supervisor/mentor: Students must have a dedicated supervisor/mentor during the summer period. Supervisors/mentors are any academic/researcher from an Alberta educational institution with a clear demonstration of a rich environment for student training and links with the RHSCN.
3. Evaluation Criteria:
A panel of researchers from the RHSCN (members of the Scientific Advisory Committee), and other SCNs (ASDs) will review all applications based upon pre-defined quality assessment criteria. The composition of the panel should reflect the inclusion of a diverse group of engaged academics and researchers across the four pillars of health research as applied to pediatric and adult respiratory health. Applications will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- The scientific quality of the research project.
- Appropriateness and relevance to scope of RHSCN, including how the work is aligned with one of the prioritized research questions of the RHSCN.
- The training environment in which the student will carry out their research project
- The student's academic record
- Special accomplishments or attributes relevant to the competition.
4. Application Deadline and Notification of Award
Application deadline is March 15, 2020. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Notification of award will be sent to all students and their supervisors by April 15, 2020.
See attached document below for more information and application instructions.