COVID-19 Information for Exchange Students

Last updated: May 12, 2022 at 8:37pm

In line with the University of Lethbridge's COVID-19 guidelines, the Education Abroad team has moved to online service only.  Your exchange coordinators are available online during normal office hours (9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday).  Please allow 2 to 3 business days for response.

We will continue to update this page on a regular basis, so please check back regularly.

Coming to ULeth for an exchange



Campus Questions

Classes will be delivered in a combination of online and in-person modalities.  The list of courses is available here.

Applying for a Study Permit

Yes, we recommend that you apply online for your study permit as soon as possible.  We anticipate that there will be processing delays.   

There may also be delays in your ability to provide biometrics due to the temporary closure of many Visa Application Centres (see below). You may also experience delays due to the availability of an IRCC panel physician to conduct your medical exam, if required.

Once you receive your Letter of Acceptance from uLethbridge, you should apply for your study permit.  Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is recommending that you apply as soon as possible for your study permit, even if you are not able to provide all required and/or recommended documents.  If there is a document you are unable to obtain because of the current pandemic, you should include with your application a note of explanation as to why you have not be able to access that document, and if possible, a timeline for when you will be able to.  Once you are able to access the document, you should provide it to IRCC to be considered with your application by using the IRCC Webform. This will allow IRCC to process study permit applications more efficiently. 

All students (except U.S. citizens) who apply for a study permit are required to provide biometrics (i.e. fingerprints and photo). Usually, this is done at a Visa Application Centre abroad. However, many Visa Application Centres are temporarily closed.  

After submitting your study permit application online, you will receive a biometrics instruction letter, with a deadline of 30 days or 90 days. According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) your application will not be refused or closed if you cannot provide biometrics due to COVID-19 service disruptions.  When the VAC closest to you re-opens for biometrics appointments, you can use the same Biometrics Instruction Letter you received, even if it has "expired".

Normally, exchange students who are coming to Canada for just one term of study have the option to apply for an entry document instead of a study permit. An entry document is either a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) - the correct document would depend on your citizenship.

Because of travel restrictions that are currently in place, only students who apply for and receive approval for a study permit will be allowed to enter Canada to study.  When an application for a study permit is approved, the appropriate entry document (TRV or eTA) is issued automatically by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). 

If you will come to study at uLethbridge for one term (less than 6 months) you are not required to have a study permit to legally study in Canada (IRCC’s recently-updated guidelines for short-term studies). However, under the current travel restrictions you may require a valid study permit or study permit approval letter to be allowed to enter Canada.

If you are planning to study in Canada for less than six months, you must either:

  • Qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller and hold a valid entry document (temporary resident visa or eTA) to enter Canada as a visitor, or

  • Hold a valid study permit or study permit approval (Letter of Introduction) and a valid entry document (temporary resident visa or eTA)

The decision on whether you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller will be made upon your arrival at the port of entry to Canada.

If you require a temporary resident visa or eTA to enter Canada, the required document will be issued to you  when your study permit application is approved outside Canada.

Travel restrictions and entry requirements are subject to change without notice. For the most up-to-date information, visit the Government of Canada website.

Travelling to Canada

As of February 22, 2021, changes will be made to travel restrictions for international students.

You can now travel to Canada if:

  • Your Designated Learning Institution has a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by the provincial authority (you can find uLethbridge on the list here)
  • Your study permit is valid, or your application to study in Canada has been approved, and you have a valid Letter of Introduction indicating that approval, along with the required entry document: TRV or eTA (U.S. citizens do not require an entry document)

Travel to Canada to attend the University of Lethbridge (or any school on the approved list) will be considered non-discretionary or essential, and additional letters or documents will not be required to indicate essential travel. Travel to Canada for other reasons (example, for tourism) will not be considered essential.  Students should plan their arrival date accordingly.

Additional Requirements for Travellers:

  • All travellers to Canada are required to present a detailed quarantine plan upon arrival. Please see here for guidance on creating your quarantine plan.
  • A negative COVID-19 test from within 72 hours of scheduled departure is required for all travellers 5 years and older, as of January 7, 2021. Additional details can be found on the Government of Canada website.
  • You must submit your travel and contact information, quarantine plan and COVID-19 self-assessment information via the ArriveCan app before checking in at the airport.

Documents you must bring:

  • Valid passport with TRV or eTA
  • Port of entry letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit
  • A valid letter of acceptance from a DLI with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • ArriveCAN app receipt – you can show this receipt on your phone or bring a printout.
  • Negative COVID-19 molecular test result
  • Your quarantine plan documentation

If you do not have a valid study permit or final approval of your application for a study permit, you cannot travel to Canada at this time.

We only recommend booking your flight if you meet the requirements to be able to travel to Canada (see above).

If you have not received final approval of your study permit application, you should not book flights.

We ask that you please contact our office so we can review your quarantine plan before you make plans to travel to Canada.

You should take into account the quarantine period when booking your flights. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will look to see that you either have time to quarantine before the start of any in-person classes, or that you will be able to study online during the quarantine period. 

Please review our Quarantine Requirements page for further guidance and instructions on creating your own quarantine plan. You can also find more information on quarantine requirements from the Government of Canada here

When you travel to Canada, you should bring the following documents:

  • Your valid study permit or letter of introduction from IRCC indicating approval your study permit application
  • Your valid passport that you used to apply for your study permit (and temporary resident visa, if applicable)
  • Your quarantine plan
  • Your Letter of Acceptance to uLethbridge
  • A Verification of Enrolment from the Bridge showing your full-time registration at uLethbridge
  • Proof of finances, demonstrating that you have sufficient resources to support yourself and any family members accompanying you to Canada

The Canada Border Services Agency always make the final decision on who is permitted to enter Canada.

  • They may be able to travel to Canada with you, but will need to demostrate that their reason for travel is non-discretionary (essential).
  • They may be able to travel to Canada to join you if you are already here, but may need to have authorization from IRCC.
  • They may not travel to Canada before you do.

In all cases, your accompanying family members will need to have their applications to come to Canada (either as a worker, student or visitor) approved by IRCC before they travel.

See here for additional details. Contact your International Student Advisors if you have any questions.

Once you have determined that you are eligible to travel to Canada, you should consider your arrival date.

If you have any in-person classes or labs, you should plan to arrive in time to complete your 14 day quarantine period prior to the start of classes.

You should plan to arrive no earlier than 3 - 4 weeks prior to the start of classes, which should be sufficient time to complete your 14-day quarantine period, and take care of essential settlement tasks.

If the border services officer determines that you are entering Canada for any reason other than to study (for example, for tourism), you may be refused entry to Canada.

The content of this FAQ has been prepared by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA).

Going out on an exchange


Apply by March 1 2022. Before you apply register for an information session via the portal

Yes, if you would like to be considered for a Fall 2022 exchange, please go ahead and fill out the exchange questionnaire on again

Please contact your exchange coordinator at and we will contact the partner school to make the necessary arrangements.

Some of our partners will offer in person, some virtual exchanges. If you are interested in either type of exchange for the Summer, please let us know before Feb 1 2023.



Yes,  many of our current partners are offering virtual exchanges bringing cross-cultural learning and engagement with the global community into an accessible online format. Please send us a message if you are interested in taking an online class from a partner.